This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6179 / 55°37'4"N
Longitude: -2.8105 / 2°48'37"W
OS Eastings: 349050
OS Northings: 636330
OS Grid: NT490363
Mapcode National: GBR 83TG.BZ
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.S2V2
Plus Code: 9C7VJ59Q+5R
Entry Name: East Church, High Street, Galashiels
Listing Name: High Street, Trinity Church and Halls (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 24 May 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373386
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31990
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
1844; enlargement and remodelling by Corson and Aitken, 1868; internal remodelling and new halls, 1928. 3-bay symmetrical basilica-plan Romanesque style church with distinctive polychrome stone work on a narrow site set back from street line. Advanced central corniced open pedimented gable with large tripartite scalloped round-headed and oculus window formation flanked by lower recessed round arched entrance bays with double panelled doors, chamfered and shafted fanlight and oculus windows above. Semi-circular arched windows to SE and NW side elevations. Snecked rock-faced blonde sandstone rubble; smooth ashlar quoins and margins. Plain rendered side elevations. Base course, red stone band courses, corniced eaves course and blocking course.
Clear leaded glazing, with coloured margins to entrance elevation, some stained glass; diagonal panelled timber doors. Piended slate roof.
INTERIOR: spacious broad nave substantially altered in 1928 to remove side galleries and reduce rear gallery; good classical mouldings; replacement oak pews and dado panelling. Large symmetrical narthex (1928) with handed stairs to gallery; oak panelling; etched glazed doors and bronze war memorials. Central carved timber pulpit built into 1904 organ by Forster and Andrews of Hull (renovated in 1928 by Ingram's of Edinburgh). Organ in good working condition and fine example of its type dominating the church interior. Some stained glass including later pair of pictorial images to chancel gifted by the children of the congregation in 1928. Glazed pendant light fittings.
HALLS AND OFFICES: 1928. Rendered pitched roof rectangular-plan halls to rear with large Venetian style gable windows and separate side access. Curved corridor behind organ recess leading to offices and vestry with plain fireplaces. Barrel-vaulted ceiling and 3-pane rooflights to main hall; 3-panel lattice leaded glass timber doors; simple cornices; tongue and groove panelled corridors with multiple coat hooks.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Trinity Church is a good example of a later 19th century Romanesque style church with fine stone detailing to the principal street elevation making a considerable contribution to its immediate surroundings. The interior, though altered, demonstrates a good decorative scheme dating to 1928.
Although based in Manchester the practice of Corson and Aitken was run by two Scottish architects, William Reid Corson had trained under the prominent Dumfries Architect Walter Newell and Robert Walker Aitken who was apprenticed to Peddie and Kinnear. Robert Aitken is thought to have been the main architect for St Ninians.
Built in 1844 at a cost of £1400 as the United Secession Church, Formerly St Columba's Church and an earlier East United Presbyterian Church. The 1867 additions are said to have included a hall, but this was presumably subsumed in the 1928 redevelopment. The 1928 halls were built on the former Darlingshaugh Burial Ground, famously the smallest cemetery in Gala, with few known internments, the last known being 1817. A union took place in 1977 between St Andrew's and St Columbas Churches to form the current St Ninians Congregation. Following a further union with St Aidan's, the name of the church was changed to trinity Church in 2007. The church now seats 540.
Separate 1st floor flat in building to courtyard to rear of halls.
Other nearby listed buildings