This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.618 / 55°37'4"N
Longitude: -2.8116 / 2°48'41"W
OS Eastings: 348979
OS Northings: 636340
OS Grid: NT489363
Mapcode National: GBR 83TG.2Y
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.S2B0
Plus Code: 9C7VJ59Q+59
Entry Name: 79 High Street (Former Commercial Bank)
Listing Name: 79 High Street (Former Commercial Bank)
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399222
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50693
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
David Rhind, 1869 with later additions. 3-storey, 3-bay, L-plan, symmetrical corner sited palazzo style former bank with ancillary ranges to rear. Hoodmoulds and lugged architraved windows; pillastered balustrade to central tripartite and pedimented window; deep bracketed overhanging eaves. Coursed stugged blonde sandstone ashlar; smooth rusticated ashlar quoins. Earlier 20th century marble and granite cladding at ground floor; moulded bracketed string and cill courses at 1st and 2nd floors. Plain 2-storey, 2-bay range with band course to rear and single storey piended section behind. Random whin rubble with sandstone margins to rear elevation. Later 20th century flat-roofed rendered extensions and brick bin store to far left.
Hardwood margin-paned windows and double timber doors with carved detail fanlights to ground floor; predominantly out of character uPVC windows to upper floors, some 4-pane timber sash and case to rear elevation; bars to rear ground floor windows. Low pitched slate roof with valley to rear, corniced ashlar end stack with clay cans. Cast-iron downpipes recessed in string courses.
INTERIOR: 20th century partitions forming new offices to ground floor, converted to flats at upper floors.
The Commercial Bank is a good example of regional bank architecture incorporating fine classical detailing and quality stonework. It is a modest representation of some of the more elaborate bank designs by David Rhind (1808- 1883), a prominent Scottish architect, and the official architect for the Commercial Bank at the time. The bank's relationship to the adjoining tenement by A G Sydney Mitchell mirrors the relationship between the Commercial Bank in Gordon Street, Glasgow and the corresponding Sidney Mitchell building on Buchannon Street.
The bank was built at a cost of £2653 in 1869, having moved from the temporary premises held since 1866 on the other side of the street on the corner with Johnston's Close.
Other nearby listed buildings