This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6178 / 55°37'3"N
Longitude: -2.8103 / 2°48'37"W
OS Eastings: 349061
OS Northings: 636318
OS Grid: NT490363
Mapcode National: GBR 83TH.C0
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.S2Y5
Plus Code: 9C7VJ59Q+4V
Entry Name: British Linen Bank, 46-48 High Street, Galashiels
Listing Name: 46, 48 High Street, Former Bank
Listing Date: 24 May 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373389
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31992
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Wardrop and Reid, 1880. 3-storey, 5-bay L-plan classical former bank and house (now in a variety of uses). Squared buff sandstone to front and side, squared rubble to rear. Ashlar dressings. Base course, cornice above ground floor, narrow band courses at sill levels, eaves band course and cornice. Raised long and short quoins. Moulded architraves; consoled on ground floor, corniced on first floor. Raised ashlar aprons on first floor.
FRONT (SW) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Pilastered bank entrance to left with blind balustrade over. Shopfront to left with plate glass windows and channelled ashlar.
SIDE (NW) ELEVATION: regular fenestration to front block. Consoled canopied single door to right.
REAR (NE) ELEVATION: 2-storey block projecting NE. Irregular fenestration.
Timber sash and case windows; plate glass and 4-pane. Shallow-pitched piended slate roof. Shouldered and corniced wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: access was not gained to the upper floors at the time of the survey (2005). The spaces on the ground floor have been modernised.
The former British Linen Bank is an example of the type of prominent and solid formal Classical bank buildings built through the second half of the 19th century. Although no longer in use as a bank, the building retains its formal symmetry and its important presence on the street. The position of the building in relation to St Ninian's church allows the bank to have a second formal elevation and emphasises its importance in views along the High Street.
The building was built as the British Linen Bank, with a manager's house above. It later became the Industrial bank, with offices above. The shopfront on the front elevation is likely to date to c1900. There are presently (2005) businesses on the ground floor and part of the first floor, with the remainder returned to use as a house.
Wardrop and Reid were a successful Edinburgh firm of architects, who took over as the architects for the British Linen Bank in 1876.
Category changed from B to C(S) 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings