This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6024 / 55°36'8"N
Longitude: -2.7926 / 2°47'33"W
OS Eastings: 350158
OS Northings: 634592
OS Grid: NT501345
Mapcode National: GBR 83YN.6J
Mapcode Global: WH7WP.2FGZ
Plus Code: 9C7VJ624+XX
Entry Name: Abbotsknowe, Abbotsford Road, Galashiels
Listing Name: 52 Abbotsford Road, Abbotsknowe Including Steps, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 25 October 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373398
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32000
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Dated 1893. 1934 conversion to 2 private dwellings by Dunn and Martin. 2-storey, 9-bay, symmetrical U-plan Tudor-gothic former stables block on steeply sloping site (now converted to 3 dwellings under single ownership, 2006) with advanced finialed crowstepped gables to central and outer bays with bracketed Jacobean strapwork pediments to gable heads. Depressed central archway infilled to form tripartite entrance doorpiece; distinctive small piended dormers with shouldered windows and wrought iron finials; open cobbled courtyard to rear centre with heavy cast-iron bracketed timber boarded doors and white glazed bricks. Stone corbelled Dutch dormer window and former vents blocked with carved stone panels to (S) side elevation. Stone flat-roofed extensions and later box dormers to rear. Snecked stugged blonde sandstone with smooth chamfered margins. Base course and eaves band course. Pedimented crested hoodmoulds to gable windows; open corner porch with balustrade and shouldered openings to N.
Mixture of 12-pane, and 9- over 4-pane timber sash and case windows with variations to rear; uPVC windows to rear and conservatory; panelled timber doors. Steep-pitched graduated slate roofs; triangular ventilators; truncated ridge and gablehead stacks; octagonal clay cans; circular stone cans to central crowstepped gable; beaked skewputts; cast-iron downpipes.
INTERIOR: simple turned timber stair, diagonal timber window panelling, stained glass panel, and cast-iron fireplaces to original coachman's house to N. Converted houses to centre and S show circa 1934 detailing including grained timber staircases, marble fire surrounds, and original pitch pine saddle and bridle case remodelled to form bookcase.
STEPS, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: circa 1934 square-plan stone entrance gatepiers carved with faces and inscribed 'Abbotsknowe', capped by earlier ball finials; ornate diamond coped pierced stone balustrade to central entrance steps and upper entrance level with ball finialed newel posts; side steps to S with decorative cast-iron railings; low rubble round coped walls; coped retaining wall enclosing courtyard to rear.
Abbotsknowe is a good example of a late 19th century stable block with good stone detailing and a distinctive gabled roofscape layed out in large garden grounds with finely detailed stone steps and gatepiers.
It was built as the stable block for the adjacent Abbotshill House built in 1874 by the architect William Hay (1818-1888). The original layout incorporated a coachman's house to the N end with the remainder being set out to stables. The 1934 conversion, carried out for Sheriff W K C Mitchell, created two houses out of the stable section leaving the coachman's house in tact. The local firm of Finlaysons joiners are reputed to have carried out work on the conversion.
Circa 1934 single stone flat roofed garage with double timber doors to N boundary, earlier 20th century brick and cast-iron stable to W boundary wall and rectangular brick apple store with piended slate roof to SW.
Other nearby listed buildings