History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grotto, Brunswickhill, Abbotsford Road, Galashiels

A Category B Listed Building in Galashiels, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6011 / 55°36'4"N

Longitude: -2.7933 / 2°47'35"W

OS Eastings: 350112

OS Northings: 634453

OS Grid: NT501344

Mapcode National: GBR 83YN.1Z

Mapcode Global: WH7WP.2G4Y

Plus Code: 9C7VJ624+FM

Entry Name: Grotto, Brunswickhill, Abbotsford Road, Galashiels

Listing Name: Abbotsford Road, Brunswickhill, Including Conservatory, Grotto, Game Store, Gate Piers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 25 October 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373407

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32005

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Galashiels

County: Scottish Borders

Town: Galashiels

Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Find accommodation in
Galashiels

Description

Andrew G Heiton Jr, 1884. 2-storey, 4-bay, large square-plan piended roofed classical Italianate villa with 3-storey, 2-bay ballustaded tower to SE angle and rectangular-plan arched cast-iron conservatory with fine glazing detail to S. Later 20th century single storey garage to W. Central corniced, pillastered doorpiece with cast-iron balustrade detail, side lights and flanking niches to symmetrical principal (N) elevation (that to the right glazed). Advanced bipartite and tripartite corniced windows with cast-iron balustrade detail; stone consoled balcony and parapet balustrade to tower with curved stair tower; timber bracketed overhanging eaves; tripartite timber box dormer to S; tripartite mullioned and transomed stair window. Stugged coursed ashlar; v-channelled rusticated quoins. Base course; ground, first and second floor moulded cill courses; band course at eaves. Advanced smooth stone window consoled architraves, pedimented windows to 2nd floor of tower.

Timber sash and case windows; timber panelled doors, 2-leaf timber panelled doors to main entrance. Piended low pitch graduated slate roofs, flat lead section; corniced rectangular ashlar stacks with clays cans; square section cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: fine late 19th century classical decorative scheme survives throughout with good Jacobean styled ceilings to principal rooms. Entrance lobby with mosaic floor and painted equestrian frieze; decorative cast-iron radiator cover; original painted decorative scheme to drawing room; timber panelled stair; service stair to nursery wing; timber balustrade to viewing platform in tower billiard room and turned timber stair with basin giving roof access.

CONSERVATORY: rectangular plan barrel-vaulted cast-iron conservatory to S elevation with coursed stone base plinth; arched glazing pattern; clerestoried lantern; acroterion finial at apex. Plain glazed screen timber screen to house.

GROTTO: Presumed contemporary to house, built into raised ground sited to SW of house. 11-bay symmetrical tufa-stone clad crenellated retaining wall with timber glazed two-leaf door and decorative fan light to raised centre bay, flanking niches, rusticated piers. Glazed timber decagon cupola with lantern and finial; Tufa-stone pilasters to interior with niches. Manufacturers plaque reads: James Boyd and sons. Horticultural Builders and Heating Engineers, Glasgow and London.

GAME STORE: sited S of Grotto. Small square-plan tufa-stone clad building with bipartite round headed windows; base and string courses; lead roof with finial. Later painted brick extensions and timber bird pens.

GATEPIERS AND GATES: square rusticated corniced gatepiers with later thistle finials; low coursed stone capped walls; late 20th century railings and gates.

Late 20th century outdoor steps leading to garden.

Statement of Interest

Good example of classical Italianate domestic architecture with prominent striking corner tower. It is an example of a reduced country estate with all component parts including unusual well-detailed grotto in the grounds.

Andrew Heiton (1823-1894) was the city architect for Perth where much of his work is found. His practice however also specialised in large country houses and suburban villas, of which Brunswickhill is a fine example.

Built for Charles William Shulze on his marriage to a local Galashiels woman and was named after his home town of Brunswick in Germany. Mr Shulze set up business as 'Shulze, Gow and Company' in 1875 specialising in trading wool abroad, the business did well and allowed him to build Brunswickhill in 1884.

The stained glass panels leading to the conservatory were removed by the previous owner in 1996.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.