This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8587 / 55°51'31"N
Longitude: -4.2509 / 4°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 259212
OS Northings: 665125
OS Grid: NS592651
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.CK
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.N0ZG
Entry Name: 42 Miller Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375655
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32760
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Craig, wright, 1775; restored by McGurn, Logan, Duncan & Opfer, 1994-5. Simplified Palladian 2-storey and attic, 5-bay town house. Ashlar front with base course, rusticated quoins and modillion cornice, rubble side elevation, harled rear. 3 central bays slightly advanced, with pediment bearing oculus. Fluted Corinthian pilasters to pedimented doorpiece. Short flight of steps to panelled 2-leaf doors set in cavetto reveals. All windows in architraves, ground floor corniced. 12-pane glazing pattern to timber sash and case windows. Basement windows flanking centre bay with cage grills. Grey slate roof with cast-iron rooflights. Corniced ashlar gablehead stacks. Decorative urns to pediment and quoins.
Passage to Virginia Court at left listed separately. Projecting piend-roofed stairtower off-centre right at rear.
Important surviving example of 18th century mansions which graced the Merchant City. The pediment was possibly intended for sculptural adornment. Built by Craig for himself. The restoration initiated by the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust saw the removal of paint from the masonry, and the late 19th century mansard and plate glass windows replaced with more original forms. It is now known as The Tobacco Merchants House.
Upgraded B to A November 1992.
Other nearby listed buildings