History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

146 Crownpoint Road

A Category B Listed Building in Calton, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8523 / 55°51'8"N

Longitude: -4.2226 / 4°13'21"W

OS Eastings: 260960

OS Northings: 664358

OS Grid: NS609643

Mapcode National: GBR 0TP.3V

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.35HC

Entry Name: 146 Crownpoint Road

Listing Date: 23 March 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377449

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33629

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Calton

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Thomson & Menzies, 1929-30. 4-storey, 9-bay carpet factory. Plan follows shallow bend in the road. Red facing brick, with blue engineering brick at ground floor. Giant order pilasters articulate bays. White concrete fascia and cill course between ground and 1st floor, concrete entablature with cornice at wallhead. Lugged concrete pediments at parapet above end bays. Arched entrance at E end bay, and rectangular entrance to W end. Metal framed windows with horizontal emphasis. Later metal clad gables. Windows on ground and 1st floors blocked with later metal sheeting. Metal lettering "Adam G Brown & Co" between 2nd and 3rd floors on N elevation.

Statement of Interest

This building is an important survival of circa 1930 industrial architecture in simple functional style and is a fine early example of the design that was to grow in popularity during the 1930s. The Classical detail has some Art Deco influence but has been pared down. The use of concrete on the façade is unusual for the time, while the slightly canted façade provides streetscape interest. Built for John Lyle & Co, carpet and rug manufacturers, which were already well established in nearby Fordneuk Street.

Colin Menzies (1861-1935) was senior partner in Menzies & Thomson from 1897, when David Thomson retired, until his death, when John Thomson took over. The firm undertook most types of commission during its existence, although commercial and industrial work were the mainstays during the 1920s. The Warehouse at 32 Fox Street, Glasgow (see separate listing) has been attributed to Menzies, while the practice is known to have designed Boots the Chemist in Argyle Street (1925), later demolished, and the Dolcis Building in Renfield Street, both Glasgow.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.