History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 Western Avenue, Rutherglen West Parish Church (Munro Church) Church of Scotland

A Category B Listed Building in Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.829 / 55°49'44"N

Longitude: -4.2206 / 4°13'14"W

OS Eastings: 261000

OS Northings: 661764

OS Grid: NS610617

Mapcode National: GBR 0TZ.H6

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.4RF7

Entry Name: 3 Western Avenue, Rutherglen West Parish Church (Munro Church) Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 14 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377581

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33700

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rutherglen

County: South Lanarkshire

Town: Rutherglen

Electoral Ward: Rutherglen Central and North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Charles Wilson. Dated 1849, opened 1850. Early Gothic style with late Gothic treatment to upper parts of tower. Almost square nave with aisles under single slate roof and slender east tower clasped by nave. Tall lancets, those at east end with dripmoulds. Prominent tower has polygonal clasping buttresses and blind panelling to clock and bell stages. Openwork parapet with tall crocketted pinnacles. Doorway has deeply moulded arch with shafts. Strapwork detail and date 1849 to wooden tympanum. Original cast-iron railings to east side of church only. Tiny western projection with 3 lancets in echelon. Attached to south west corner of church is a small gabled stone house with polygonal extension and rectangular window and dripmould. Good Gothic interior has wooden galleries on three sides supported on cast-iron columns, massive organ and pulpit to west end. Gallery also has columns with rich stiff leaf capitals supporting ribbed plaster vaults, quadripartite to aisles, higher tunnel vault in centre. Fully furnished with box pews.

Statement of Interest

Originally UF Church. New church halls and Manse attached on the north side are not included in the listing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.