History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

25 Greenhead Street, 3-23 (Odd Nos) Macphail Street

A Category B Listed Building in Calton, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8486 / 55°50'55"N

Longitude: -4.2322 / 4°13'55"W

OS Eastings: 260346

OS Northings: 663968

OS Grid: NS603639

Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.45

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Y8V6

Entry Name: 25 Greenhead Street, 3-23 (Odd Nos) Macphail Street

Listing Date: 16 March 1993

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377896

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33844

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Calton

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Circa 1840 (McPhail Street), 1872-3 and 1886 link by George Fyfe Boyd. Large industrial building with unusual Classically-detailed domestic tenement treatment to later Greenhead Street elevations on prominent corner site overlooking Glasgow Green. 3 ranges to Greenhead Street comprise 4-storey, 5-bay block to N and tall 3-storey, 3-bay block to S (at corner), both with balustraded wallheads; these flank roofless (2010) single storey, 7-bay link. 3-storey and attic, 14-bay McPhail Street elevation adjoining later 4-storey building at E. Sandstone ashlar ranges (Greenhead Street), channelled at ground, with base course, ground floor cornice and eaves cornice; voussoired semicircular-arched openings to single storey link; pilastered and corniced doorpiece, architraved windows, cornices, consoles, stone mullions and bracketed cills. Polychrome red brick range (McPhail Street) with ashlar base course, brick lintel bands and mutuled eaves cornice; contrasting cream brick dressings, ashlar cills.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Greenhead Street elevations incorporate symmetrical outer ranges, that to left with centre door, flanked by single windows and outer bipartites, regular fenestration above; range to right with centre window and flanking bipartites at each floor. Single storey range with outer doors (that to right converted from window) flanking single windows. McPhail Street ranges incorporate 3 bays of ashlar range at left with centre door and flanking window, regular fenestration above. Regularly-fenestrated red brick range with vehicular entrance across 2 bays at outer right and semicircular stair tower at rear.

4-pane glazing pattern in replacement windows. Grey slate. Ashlar and polychrome brick stacks

Statement of Interest

Known as The Greenhead Works, the prominent siting of this well-detailed industrial building overlooking Glasgow Green accounts for the unusual dignified Classical tenement treatment given to the Greenfield Street elevations. The early brick range known as McPhail's Mill was built for Messrs Bartholomew circa 1840. The building was purchased by R and J Dick, gutta-percha merchants, in 1859 for the sum of £1,000. It was subsequently enlarged and renamed the Greenhead Works. Both of the Dick brothers died without heirs, and bequeathed significant sums to the city of Glasgow as well as for the continued development of their gutta-percha business. In 1908 R & J Dick's became a Public Company and was still in production in the 1960s.

The gutta percha industry was in its infancy when Robert and James Dick began experimenting with the newly discovered gum. Their success in creating hardwearing waterproof soles led them "to pioneer retail shoe shops in the UK" and "The Glasgow term 'gutties' for sandshoes or plimsolls is derived from the material used to make their successful range of cheap shoes" (Bridgeton Heritage Trail). The company continued in its successful pioneering work with patented designs which included 'Dick's' original balata belting, 'Ruberix' belting and 'Dixel' ropes.

The Dictionary of Scottish Architects records that George Fyfe Boyd who designed the link sections between to two tenement-like ranges "practised intermittently in Glasgow from 1894-1915". His other local works include a tenement at Shettleston (1902) and Rutherglen Burgh Halls (1906).

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.