This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8535 / 55°51'12"N
Longitude: -4.2695 / 4°16'10"W
OS Eastings: 258029
OS Northings: 664587
OS Grid: NS580645
Mapcode National: GBR 0HP.LF
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.D44G
Plus Code: 9C7QVP3J+C6
Entry Name: Scottish Co-Op Wholesale Society Building, 95 Morrison Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 95 Morrison Street, 34-44 (Even Nos) Dalintober Street, 19-37 (Odd Nos) Carnoustie Street, "Co-Operative House"
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378154
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33971
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1). Front: Bruce and Hay begun 1893, opened 1897. 4-storey, 2 attics and basement elaborately detailed wide outer and central bays linked by 8-bay ranges. Office and warehouse in manner of a public building. Louis XIV French Renaissance style. Ashlar. Central entrance: paired granite Ionic columned doorpiece set in vermiculated banded masonry, with wrought iron gate. Ornate sculpture pediment. Ground floor arched windows scalloped. Niches set in segmentally pedimented aedicules flank centre amd corner pavilions. Giant paired Corinthian columns rise through 2nd and 3rd floors at centre and pavilions. 3rd floor windows have blind balustrade. Main cornice and balustrade. Windows, all plate glass sash and case, divided by a variety of pilasters or in advanced bays with columns. Large central pediment encloses statues of Justice, Labour and the 4 Continents under Cybele and 2 lions. Central domed cupola, 50' high with Ionic peristyle, balustrade and formerly with dominating figure representing Light and Life holding in her extended arm an electric light (See Notes). A landmark. Corner Pavilions: French square domes with pedimented dormers, urns and brattishing. Slate roofs.
Dalintober and Carnoustie Street elevations similar to front without top balustrade. North pavilions match the front. South pavilions each have 2 arched ground floor entrances, 1 for carts and 1 mullioned and transomed stair entrance. 1st floor channelled pilasters, 2nd and 3rd giant Corinthian pilasters. Entablature and panelled parapet.
INTERIOR: vestibule panelled with Sicilian marble divided by Ionic columns and pilasters. Plaster modillion cornice. Porter's and pay room doors panelled with cherubs supporting barometer and clock in segmental pediment. Stairway with wrought-iron bannister and Art Nouveau newels. Main warehouse: cast-iron columns and wooden beams, carved and plastered in clerks rooms. 5th floor and small attic both top-lit. Elaborate cast-iron street lamps in front of entrance.
2). Dalintober Street Block: Bruce and Hay 1886-7. Flemish Renaissance, 6-storey, 5-bay, ashlar grocery store. Ground floor altered. Only arches with mask keystones and carved tympana inscribed "Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society" survive. 1st to 4th floors have 3 paired windows, inner 3 hoodmoulded at 2nd floor divided by 2 ogee topped niches, 3rd floor with broken pediments 4th floor with 3 ornate pediments and 2 panels inscribed "SC/WS".
5th floor large central cross window and 2 slit windows, all false, in curvilinear gable dated 1887, topped by pedimented niche and crowning statue. Left advanced bay retains ground floor and cross window. Corbelled over 2nd floor. Steeply pitched pyramidal roof with cast-iron brattishing. Right bay lit by 3 mullioned windows with hoodmould. 3 slit windows. Semi-circular corbelled turret projects from 2nd floor with slit windows, and conical roof. Slate roofs. Interior: warehouse; cast-iron columns, wooden beams.
Dalintober or Co-operative Hall, top floor. Very fine timber panelled walls and ceiling. Cast-iron Corinthian columns. Hammer beam roof. Panelled Committee Room to rear with original fireplace.
3). Block linking 1887 and 1893 warehouses: Bruce and Hay, 1888. 5-storey, 3-bay ashlar. Ground floor altered. 1st floor horizontal 6-light windows, central bay with bigger cross windows. Crow-stepped gable topped by lion with shield.
4). Carnoustie Street block: Bruce and Hay, 1891-3. 4-storey stables, ham curing and grocery store. Jacobean style. Ashlar. 6 ground floor recessed arches with moulded reveals. Centre block with windows arranged 1-3-1-3-1 (1st floor centre sculptured and dated 1893). 2nd floor tripartites pedimented. Cornice and crenellated parapet. 2 advanced end pavilions have paired giant corbelled pilasters from 1st to 4th floors supporting ornate Jacobean gables. Windows set into full length arched panel. All windows are narrow sash and case with a roll moulding. Slate roof
For the SCWS.
The figure of Light and Life was removed for repair in 1995 shortly before the building's conversion to flats. It is understood that the James Ewing statue, composed of concrete with a copper torch, fell to pieces when removed.
Other nearby listed buildings