This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4212 / 55°25'16"N
Longitude: -2.789 / 2°47'20"W
OS Eastings: 350153
OS Northings: 614428
OS Grid: NT501144
Mapcode National: GBR 85YR.ZG
Mapcode Global: WH7XG.4Z4X
Plus Code: 9C7VC6C6+F9
Entry Name: 1 Howegate, Hawick
Listing Name: 1, 3 and 5 Howegate
Listing Date: 19 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378959
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34647
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Hermitage
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Earlier 19th century, redeveloped by Aitken & Turnbull of Hawick, late 20th century. Three 3-storey blocks forming terminus of sloping terrace, comprising shops at ground floor and tenements above. Painted ashlar to shopfronts; painted rubble with painted ashlar dressings above; rendered to rear. Regular fenestration with raised ashlar margins to front; irregular fenestration to rear.
NO 1: 3-storey, 3-bay, square-plan tenement and shop forming terminal corner of terrace, with basket-arched, roll-moulded openings to shop at ground floor. Deep base course; ground-floor cornice; eaves course; moulded eaves cornice. Narrow raised quoin strips to E and W; raised long-and-short quoins to N corner. NW (Howegate) elevation with alternate blocked and glazed openings to 5-bay shopfront. NE (Silver Street) elevation with recessed door and fanlight to centre of 3-bay shopfront to right; pend entrance to left. Shaped gable-end offset to right with single apex window, between stacks. SE (rear) elevation with square-headed pend opening; external stair; irregular fenestration.
NO 3: 3-bay section to left and taller, single-bay section to right, with full-height bowed stair tower to rear (1980s). 1st-floor band course; eaves course to left. 3-bay shopfront section to left and glazed shopfront section to right.
NO 5: 3-storey, 2-bay terraced tenement with shop set on sloping site, with single-storey gabled addition at centre of rear (1980s). Narrow raised quoin strips. Asymmetrical 3-bay shopfront with off-centre door to principal elevation, with regular fenestration above; irregular fenestration to rear.
Plate glass shop windows; predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper storeys. Grey slate roof. Coped, harled stacks with circular buff clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
B-Group comprises Nos 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 19, 2, 4, 6, 10 and 12 Howegate - see separate list entries. Interest here lies both in the traditional character of the buildings and in the irregular street which they make up - its curved form being of particular note since it is said to follow the medieval building line.
It is not clear whether the building on the site of No 1 that is shown on John Wood's plan of 1824 is the existing one. However, it is certainly this building that appears as a Post Office on the Ordnance Survey Town Plan of 1857.
The ground-floor shop space of No 3 (map ref: NT 50150 14420) is now divided between the adjacent properties, the 3-bay left section being part of No 1 and the right section being part of No 5 (map ref: NT 50147 14412).
Comprehensive redevelopment of Howegate from 1978 onwards by Aitken & Turnbull resulted in two Civic Trust Awards (1982 and 1986), as well as a Borders Regional Council Award for Conservation (1986). The ground-floor shop space now extends through to No 3. List description revised following resurvey (2008).