History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 Sandbed, Hawick

A Category C Listed Building in Hawick, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4213 / 55°25'16"N

Longitude: -2.7894 / 2°47'21"W

OS Eastings: 350129

OS Northings: 614441

OS Grid: NT501144

Mapcode National: GBR 85YR.WF

Mapcode Global: WH7XG.3ZZT

Plus Code: 9C7VC6C6+G6

Entry Name: 1 Sandbed, Hawick

Listing Name: 1 Sandbed

Listing Date: 19 August 1977

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378990

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34666

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Hawick

County: Scottish Borders

Town: Hawick

Electoral Ward: Hawick and Hermitage

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Find accommodation in
Hawick

Description

Early 19th century. 3-storey corner tenement with shop at ground floor, piended roof to corner and recessed corner door. Coursed whinstone with rendered shopfront and raised red sandstone dressings and quoins. 3-bay principal elevation with window and tenement door flanked by large 3-pane display windows to plain shopfront at ground floor; single central window flanked by tripartite mullioned windows to 1st and 2nd floors. Single-bay side elevation to Howegate with large 2-pane display window to shopfront at ground floor.

Plate glass to shopfront; 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper floors. Coped, rendered ridge stack with circular clay cans. Grey slate roof with metal ridge.

Statement of Interest

A well-proportioned, virtually unaltered early-19th-century residential and commercial block situated in a prominent position at the centre of Hawick, at the corner of Sandbed and Howegate.

Sandbed was the focal point of the Burgh and the site of its marketplace until 1815, when the market was moved to Tower Knowe in preparation for the laying-out of Buccleuch Street as the main road south.

Prior to the First World War the shop at No 1 belonged to Hawick-born Alexander Sutherland Lawson -watchmaker, jeweller, silversmith, optician, shipping agent, magistrate and JP - who had commenced his business in May 1864. When he died in October 1916, he and his wife Catherine were living above the shop. It is now (2007) a clothing and accessories store, Seasons Accessories.

There are no remaining original features in the shop interior. The interiors of the flats above were not seen at resurvey (2008), but are understood to have been modernised. List description revised and category changed from B to C(S) following resurvey (2008).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.