This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6233 / 55°37'23"N
Longitude: -3.0603 / 3°3'37"W
OS Eastings: 333327
OS Northings: 637141
OS Grid: NT333371
Mapcode National: GBR 732F.71
Mapcode Global: WH6V6.YXWH
Plus Code: 9C7RJWFQ+8V
Entry Name: Old Bridge, Innerleithen
Listing Name: Leithen Road, Old Bridge
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379402
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34969
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
1701. Single arch rubble bridge spanning the river Leithen with splayed parapets to each end.
The Bridge is a very early example of an 18th century bridge surviving largely in its original form and making an important historical contribution to the older part of the town of Innerleithen.
In 1665 the Vacant Stipend Act of the Scottish Parliament ensured that any available stipend was used by the Patron to build or repair bridges, churches and to support the region's poor. It is thought that the bridge was funded by these means, after two year period of vacancy from 1695-1697. Alexander Horsbrugh was selected to build the bridge in 1701 by the church with the intention of allowing congregation who lived in the eastern side of the parish to reach the Kirk on Leithen Road with ease.
The Old Bridge, also known as Cuddy Bridge, took the main road over Pirn Hill to Nether Horsbrugh before the new turnpike road was built in the 1770's which was eventually to become the High Street and the road between Peebles and Galashiels.
On James Dorrit's Map of 1781 the settlements of Inverleithing and Pirn are shown on either side of the Leithen water, presumably with the bridge linking the two.
It is worth noting that it is unusual to be able to date a bridge of this age with such certainty; however there is substantial information to evidence this.
The bridge has recently (2006) undergone repair works and the parapet appears to be largely rebuilt. It was previously a Scheduled Ancient Monument but was de-scheduled 11 December 1998.
List description revised and category changed from B to C(S) 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings