This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6222 / 55°37'19"N
Longitude: -3.0619 / 3°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 333226
OS Northings: 637026
OS Grid: NT332370
Mapcode National: GBR 731F.XF
Mapcode Global: WH6V6.YY49
Plus Code: 9C7RJWCQ+V7
Entry Name: St Andrews Episcopal Church Including Boundary Walls And Gates, Church Street
Listing Name: Church Street, St Andrews Episcopal Church Including Boundary Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 21 May 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399895
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51075
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
C E Howse, 1904. Single storey, 6-bay, simple rectangular-plan Arts and Crafts style church with small late 20th century pitched-roof meeting hall addition to NW. Harled with red sandstone window margins and margined quoins. Pointed arch entrance doorway with hoodmould and scrolled label stops; pointed arch windows. Bell-cast gabled roof.
Diamond-pane leaded glazing; two-leaf painted, boarded entrance door. Graded grey slates with timber-bracketed overhanging eaves and clay ridge tiles. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: good Arts and Crafts decorative scheme. Round arched ceiling with 4 curved timber trusses on delicate red sandstone corbels. Simple decorative rood screen dividing nave and timber panelled sanctuary. Timber pews, pulpit, altar and Arts and Craft style chairs. Mural memorial to E gable dedicated to J.G Ferguson by William Blacklock of Edinburgh School of Art, 1905, depicting Virgin and Child and 'Adoration of the Magi'. Stained glass: single light over the altar donated by Isabella Ballantyne. Single lights either side of chancel dedicated to Robert Milne Ballantyne, signed by J S Hamilton 1920. Triple wrought iron pendant lights. Internal entrance lobby with symmetrical vestry leading to later session room addition.
Ecclesiastical Building in use as such.
St Andrew's Episcopal Church is a small Arts and Crafts style church with fine quality detailing and well detailed interior prominently sited on a corner on entering Innerleithen form the North.
Little is known of the architect C E Howse, this is his only known work in Scotland, but the pure Arts and Crafts design of the church is of a good quality. The murals by William Blacklock are of very fine quality and in the style of the famous Borders artist, Pheobe Traquair.
The bell, made by James Barwell of Birmingham and dated 1878, was gifted to St Andrew's by the Craigside Church when it was converted to housing in 1995.
Other nearby listed buildings