This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.61 / 55°36'36"N
Longitude: -4.4995 / 4°29'58"W
OS Eastings: 242658
OS Northings: 637994
OS Grid: NS426379
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQ6Q
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V8K3
Plus Code: 9C7QJG62+26
Entry Name: Central Hall, John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: John Finnie Street, Central Evangelical Church
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380591
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35906
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1900; later addition. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical former hall; Italian Romanesque detailing. Snecked and stugged red sandstone ashlar; polished dressings. Base course; shallow, recessed central segmental-arched bay with balustraded balcony; eaves course; balustrade; large, central blocking course with scrolled shoulders. Pedestrian gateways flanking main building. 2-storey later range to right.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: shallow recessed 2-storey central segmental-arched bay with keystone; entrance door with fanlight; balcony with scrolled brackets above; 3 round-headed arched windows; tripartite windows in end bays at ground; 4 round-headed arched windows in end bays at 1st floor. 2 windows at ground floor on left return; single storey range to rear with row of round-headed windows. 2-storey range to right: banded rustication to ground floor; wide canted corner bay; shop windows and garage door to ground; 2 single windows to E elevation at 1st floor; single window to canted corners; 5 single windows to John Dickie Street elevation.
Multi-pane glazing. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
Part of the John Finnie Street A-Group. John Finnie Street is nearly ? mile long and was built around 1864. It provided a grand thoroughfare for the town with the focal point to the north being the railway station. Business and commerce spread to this street and rows of high quality, 3-storey or more, red sandstone building were constructed. The ground floors were given over to retail, offices and accommodation were above. The street dominated the lower, narrower streets in Kilmarnock that were filled with traditional buildings. The street's architect was William Railton, who went on to design the Kilmarnock Infirmary (now demolished) and the surveyor was Robert Blackwood.
Other nearby listed buildings