This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6098 / 55°36'35"N
Longitude: -4.4995 / 4°29'58"W
OS Eastings: 242654
OS Northings: 637968
OS Grid: NS426379
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQ6T
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V8K9
Plus Code: 9C7QJG52+W5
Entry Name: 31-33 John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 31 - 37 (Odd Numbers) John Finnie Street Laigh Kirk Mission Hall
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380593
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35908
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1896; later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical gothic hall and shops; additional bay to right. Stugged red sandstone ashlar; polished ashlar dressings. Tudor central doorway; string course at 1st floor; 2 gables at 1st floor with 4-centred arches encompassing windows and carving in the arch heads. Modern shops to ground.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central doorway composed of semi-octagonal piers and crenellated parapet with carved name 'Laigh Kirk Mission Hall; pointed-arched head to door with carving. Modern shop windows flanking ground. Central single window at 1st floor with gablehead. Large gables to end bays; foliate carvings at tip of gableheads; tripartite windows with stone mullions and transoms with arched architraves and hoodmoulds enclosing carved panels: central round niche with masks and decorative carving. Tripartite window with stone mullions and transoms in additional bay.
Modern glazing. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
Part of the John Finnie Street A-Group. John Finnie Street is nearly ? mile long and was built around 1864. It provided a grand thoroughfare for the town with the focal point to the north being the railway station. Business and commerce spread to this street and rows of high quality, 3-storey or more, red sandstone building were constructed. The ground floors were given over to retail, offices and accommodation were above. The street dominated the lower, narrower streets in Kilmarnock that were filled with traditional buildings. The street's architect was William Railton, who went on to design the Kilmarnock Infirmary (now demolished) and the surveyor was Robert Blackwood.
Other nearby listed buildings