History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Laigh Kirk Mission Hall, 35 John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6098 / 55°36'35"N

Longitude: -4.4999 / 4°29'59"W

OS Eastings: 242630

OS Northings: 637971

OS Grid: NS426379

Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQ3J

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V8C8

Plus Code: 9C7QJG52+W2

Entry Name: Laigh Kirk Mission Hall, 35 John Finnie Street, Kilmarnock

Listing Name: 31 - 37 (Odd Numbers) John Finnie Street Laigh Kirk Mission Hall

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 380594

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35908

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Town: Kilmarnock

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmarnock

Description

1896; later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical gothic hall and shops; additional bay to right. Stugged red sandstone ashlar; polished ashlar dressings. Tudor central doorway; string course at 1st floor; 2 gables at 1st floor with 4-centred arches encompassing windows and carving in the arch heads. Modern shops to ground.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central doorway composed of semi-octagonal piers and crenellated parapet with carved name 'Laigh Kirk Mission Hall; pointed-arched head to door with carving. Modern shop windows flanking ground. Central single window at 1st floor with gablehead. Large gables to end bays; foliate carvings at tip of gableheads; tripartite windows with stone mullions and transoms with arched architraves and hoodmoulds enclosing carved panels: central round niche with masks and decorative carving. Tripartite window with stone mullions and transoms in additional bay.

Modern glazing. Slate roof.

INTERIOR: not seen 2001.

Statement of Interest

Part of the John Finnie Street A-Group. John Finnie Street is nearly ? mile long and was built around 1864. It provided a grand thoroughfare for the town with the focal point to the north being the railway station. Business and commerce spread to this street and rows of high quality, 3-storey or more, red sandstone building were constructed. The ground floors were given over to retail, offices and accommodation were above. The street dominated the lower, narrower streets in Kilmarnock that were filled with traditional buildings. The street's architect was William Railton, who went on to design the Kilmarnock Infirmary (now demolished) and the surveyor was Robert Blackwood.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.