History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bond Warehouse, Eastern Road, Montrose

A Category B Listed Building in Montrose, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7101 / 56°42'36"N

Longitude: -2.4605 / 2°27'37"W

OS Eastings: 371906

OS Northings: 757693

OS Grid: NO719576

Mapcode National: GBR VY.F8LC

Mapcode Global: WH8RK.5LLT

Plus Code: 9C8VPG6Q+2R

Entry Name: Bond Warehouse, Eastern Road, Montrose

Listing Name: Eastern Road and Marine Avenue, Chapel Works or Bond, Marine Avenue Mill and Front Office

Listing Date: 5 December 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 383399

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38213

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Montrose

County: Angus

Town: Montrose

Electoral Ward: Montrose and District

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Montrose

Description

Thomson Bros and Company, Douglas Foundry, Dundee, 1866-7.

ELEVATION TO EASTERN ROAD: built circa 1866-7, single storey and attic, 17-bay, rubble built with ashlar dressings and quoins. Central arched entrance with date 1795 over. Pend opens out to rear with twin cast-iron columns and bowed lodge. 2 and 3-storey rear elevation.

INTERIOR: offices altered. 1st floor not seen.

ELEVATION TO MARINE AVENUE: 1867. Long single storey 3-by 76 bay flax-spinning mill comprising, from W to E: 8 corniced bays with attic storey, 34 bay machine hackling and spinning mill, dividing wall between departments at 20th bay with ball finials. Tall engine house: 3 ground and 1st floor windows (originally held tandem compound horizontal engine, later heightened when engine was replaced). 22-bay preparing and machine hackling mill with blind basement flax store. Dividing wall with ball finials at 15th bay. Remaining 16 bays completed after 1878, the last 9 built as warehouses with an attic storey. Slate roof with valleys. Blocked windows were originally sash and case, multi-paned to spinning rooms. Larger panes to engine house and end blocks.

INTERIOR: 2 rows of cast-iron columns with timber roofs, side aisles coved lath and plaster. Low brick arched basement at E. Floor missing from 9-bay E-most block. Fine timber-boarded ceiling to engine house.

Statement of Interest

Front was also originally intended to be a spinning mill but altered to offer a more grand entry. The side to Marine Avenue is one of the earliest single storey spinning mills in the district. A Group with Eastern Road and Paton's Lane, Chapel Works or Bond (Centre Buildings) to Paton's Lane and Eastern Road and Paton's lane, Chapel Works or Bond, East Warehouse. Buildings 14-28 on 1967 insurance plan.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.