This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9673 / 56°58'2"N
Longitude: -2.2113 / 2°12'40"W
OS Eastings: 387248
OS Northings: 786245
OS Grid: NO872862
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2JGN
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.048N
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ8Q+WF
Entry Name: Community Centre, Ann Street, Stonehaven
Listing Name: Bath Street, Stonehaven Community Education Centre Including Ancillary Building and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387837
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41544
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
J Russell Mackenzie, dated 1875. Single and 2-storey, 5-bay, E-plan, gothic-detailed former school with finialled gables, quatrefoil-panelled parapet, dated decorative rainwater hoppers and some good interior detail, on raised corner site. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings 2 courses deep and stugged quoins. Base, band and eaves courses. Wide-centre tripartite windows to E, those to 1st floor with taller shoulder-arched centre lights rising into pointed-arch panels in dormer gablets at centre bays, and overarch recess embracing all 3 lights at outer gables. Stone mullions, chamfered arrises and raked cills.
E (PRINCIPAL, ANN STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical with broad advanced outer gables. Centre bay at ground with shoulder-arched doorway incorporating corniced door with blocked fanlight and flanking narrow lights, regular fenestration to remaining bays at each floor; 3 centre bays at 1st floor rising into dormer gablets comprising wider centre bay with roundel (former clock?) in tympanum, and outer bays each with glazed quatrefoil in tympanum.
W (ROBERT STREET) ELEVATION: plainer, symmetrical, single storey, E-plan elevation, entering at 1st floor level. Advanced outer gables each with raised centre tripartite, door on right return of left gable and window on left return of right gable; lower centre gable with bipartite window flanked by small gabletted porches and flanking narrow lights.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: on ground falling steeply to E resulting in single storey bays to W and 2-storey bays to E.
Largely 4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates with original vertically-astragalled horizontal rooflights to W. Coped ashlar ridge stacks; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts; stone finials. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative dated rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: moulded cornices; pointed-arch openings; panelled timber doors, some corniced; vertically-boarded timber dadoes; dog-leg staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters; 1st floor hall pilastered; 1st floor rooms to N and S each with hammerbeam roof.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: slated and piended rubble ancillary building to NW corner of car park (former playground). 3 horizontal blocked window openings to N, timber door to E, flat-roofed extension to S and large louvered ridge ventilator.
BOUNDARY WALLS: extensive coped rubble boundary walls.
Formerly listed as 'Ann Street and Robert Street'. Originally Fetteresso School, this building replaced the school (now known as Ardgour) opposite the church at the west end of Bath Street. Groome says the 'Stonehaven public school, under the Fetteresso school board, on a high bank to the NW, was built in 1876 at a cost of £4000, and contains accommodation for 545 children. Donaldson's benefaction is now managed by the school board'. During the 1880s, Inspector's reports describe it as a 'mixed school' 'combining secondary with elementary instruction'. The school closed in 1970 when pupils were moved to Arduthie Primary School (the former Mackie Academy). It was subsequently converted to Stonehaven Community Centre. The top playground was formerly divided by a high wall into separate areas for boys and girls.
Other nearby listed buildings