This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9659 / 56°57'57"N
Longitude: -2.2108 / 2°12'38"W
OS Eastings: 387279
OS Northings: 786098
OS Grid: NO872860
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2JLF
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.05HP
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ8Q+9M
Entry Name: Harley House, 56 Ann Street, Stonehaven
Listing Name: 56 Ann Street, Harley House Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387836
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41543
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Early 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay house. Stugged ashlar with droved margins, coursed rubble. Base course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Steps up to centre bay with deeply recessed panelled timber door and fanlight with 'HARLEY HOUSE', windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor, canted dormer windows over outer bays flanking small rooflight.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks with full-complement of cans and thackstanes; ashlar-coped skews.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: coped whitewashed boundary walls with inset iron railings, pyramidally-capped square-section gatepiers and 2-leaf decorative iron gates.
Harley House is a fine example of an unaltered, well-proportioned early burgh house. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.
Other nearby listed buildings