This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1474 / 57°8'50"N
Longitude: -2.0933 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 394455
OS Northings: 806278
OS Grid: NJ944062
Mapcode National: GBR SD4.LS
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TMD3
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW4+WM
Entry Name: Victoria Court, 54 Castle Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 54 Castle Street
Listing Date: 14 January 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390487
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43850
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 18th century. 3-storey, long, narrow, gabled rectangular-plan former public rooms (see Notes) with 3-lighted bowed S elevation overlooking Harbour, now with long, low projecting addition to ground floor. Situated on restricted site in small courtyard entered by narrow pend on Castle Street. Grey granite ashlar. Eaves cornice. 6-panel timber entrance door to NW with Doric columned and pedimented doorpiece. S bowed elevation with flat-roofed top storey with simple iron railings forming viewing platform. 20th century single storey extension to S.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to S. Some openings boarded. Coped wallhead stack to E. In poor repair (2006).
Dating from the late 18th century, 54 Castle Street is a significant part of the cityscape. The simple bowed South elevation with its viewing platform overlooking the Harbour is an unusual device in Aberdeen. The building is entered via a narrow pend from Castle Street. The former list description of 1997 describes the interior as comprising 3 large rooms, vertically stacked and reached from a wide stone stair with original railings. Also consisting of elaborate plasterwork and simple chimneypieces of Adamitic character throughout. It is likely that the interior remains as previously described.
A bow ended building in this location is depicted on the Alexander Milne map of 1789 although this seems to be part of an L-plan structure. It is possible that 54 Castle Street was originally built as an L-plan late 18th century town house and converted in the early 19th century to provide public reading and entertainment rooms for the city.
Castle Street (or Castlegate) is considered by many to be the heart of Aberdeen city centre. It has been the site of the main market place since the 12th century. It contains a 17th century Mercat Cross (a Scheduled Ancient Monument). The central rectangular area has, through the centuries, been bounded by a succession of different buildings, predominately private houses and commercial premises. The Tolbooth was built here in the 17th century. The earlier buildings were replaced from the 19th century onwards using the existing footprint, and therefore the important large central space which continues to form a focal point for the city was retained.
Reference from previous list description: Iain Gray, Archivist, Aberdeen City Council.
Other nearby listed buildings