This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7997 / 55°47'58"N
Longitude: -4.063 / 4°3'46"W
OS Eastings: 270776
OS Northings: 658192
OS Grid: NS707581
Mapcode National: GBR 012C.5T
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.KHG7
Plus Code: 9C7QQWXP+VR
Entry Name: Anchorage House, 3 Orchard Avenue, Bothwell
Listing Name: Bothwell, 3 Orchard Avenue, Anchorage House, Including Gatepiers
Listing Date: 30 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391888
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45085
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1802 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, symmetrical, plain classical rectangular-plan 3-bay house with square-plan porch and single storey projections to rear. Droved ashlar sandstone, squared and snecked sandstone rubble to sides and rear. Droved margins to windows. Base course; eaves course and cornice; strip quoins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: part-glazed porch with slim Doric columns, plain architrave, simple frieze and cornice; deep-set, part glazed timber panelled door with fanlight; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays flanking.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular 3-bay; square-plan, piended porch at ground in bay to centre abutting pitched projection with further lean-to brick addition at end, in bay to right; 3 windows, unevenly disposed to left return of projection; boarded door to left return of brick addition; modern French window, set to left with window set to right in right return of projection. Low, single storey, lean-to addition at ground in bay to left. Stair window in bay to centre; single window at 1st floor in bay to right. 3 dormers, unevenly disposed above.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: single bay gabled wall with 2-bay addition to left of centre (see above). replacement small-pane glazed door at ground, set to left; gablehead stack above.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: single bay. Window at each floor , set to right of centre; gablehead stack above.
Variety of glazing patterns with various opening methods, including predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows to front; possibly original 16-pane timber sash and case window to W elevation; leaded small-pane stair window. Grey slate roof; grey slate to projection and additions; ashlar skews; ashlar coped stacks (stack to W elevation new); cast-iron rainwater goods with some plastic replacement sections to rear.
INTERIOR: part seen 1997; egg and dart cornice extant in drawing room; timber panelled and architraved doors.
GATEPIERS: square-plan ashlar sandstone with string course, cornice and flattened pyramidal cap. Replacement wrought-iron gates.
Built in 1803 for Captain Thomas, Flag Captain to Lord Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar.
Other nearby listed buildings