This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.843 / 55°50'34"N
Longitude: -2.1245 / 2°7'28"W
OS Eastings: 392303
OS Northings: 661099
OS Grid: NT923610
Mapcode National: GBR F0LW.V8
Mapcode Global: WH9Y3.BDLH
Plus Code: 9C7VRVVG+66
Entry Name: Police Station, 27 High Street, Ayton
Listing Name: Ayton, High Street, Clock Tower House
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393739
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46435
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1880, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical grouping forming end of terrace comprising 6-storey, square-plan clock tower to left with 2-storey, 2-bay range (single bay at 1st floor) slightly recessed to outer right; 2-storey wing projecting at rear forming near L-plan. Squared and snecked whinstone to tower and front elevation adjoining range; sandstone ashlar dressings (weathered in part); painted harl to side and rear. Base course in part; corbelled and castellated parapet to clock tower. Sandstone quoins throughout; long and short surrounds to stop-chamfered openings; chamfered cills to front; projecting cills to side.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tower to left with steps to boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; decorative iron hinges; roll-moulded surround encompassing sandstone plaque dated '1880'. Single windows at 1st and 2nd floors off-set to right and left respectively. Narrow, louvred opening at 3rd floor in bay to right of centre; clock face centred at 4th floor; narrow, louvred opening at 5th floor off-set to left of centre. Projecting parapet with square-plan bartizan to outer right. Adjoining 2-storey range slightly recessed to right with single windows in both bays at ground; bipartite window centred at 1st floor.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled block to outer left with blind, single storey, lean-to addition at ground; wallhead stack centred above; regularly fenestrated 2-storey, 2-bay range to right. Clock tower off-set to left behind with clock face centred between louvred openings at upper floors (as above); square-plan bartizan projecting to outer left.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; replacement rainwater goods. Coped and harled apex stack to SE; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
A late, well-detailed, prominent survival, fronting Ayton's High Street. The incorporation of a clock tower within a house is most unusual - the near contemporary Baronial towers at Creetown and Gatehouse of Fleet both being free-standing. The Ayton example has characteristics akin to a town hall or major estate office. Clock still in working order 1998. Bell (embossed 'John C Wilson & Co Founders Glasgow AD 1880') removed and displayed separately to E.
Other nearby listed buildings