History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parkgate Community Leisure Centre, Parkgate, Rosyth

A Category C Listed Building in Rosyth, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0395 / 56°2'22"N

Longitude: -3.4186 / 3°25'6"W

OS Eastings: 311713

OS Northings: 683870

OS Grid: NT117838

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.RKY3

Mapcode Global: WH6S3.GG9C

Plus Code: 9C8R2HQJ+RH

Entry Name: Parkgate Community Leisure Centre, Parkgate, Rosyth

Listing Name: Parkgate, Former Rosyth Institute (Parkgate Community Leisure Centre)

Listing Date: 10 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394316

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46927

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Town: Dunfermline

Electoral Ward: Rosyth

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in


James Scobie for Carnegie Dunfermline Trust, 1924-26. Single storey and basement; I-plan; recreational institute. Free Renaissance design incorporating pedimented main entrance, mullioned and transomed windows, pediment-like dormerheads, abstract geometrical motifs and pilaster strips and swept projecting eaves. Red brick; harled at upper level (except dormer heads); sandstone ashlar dressings. Flush band course at (lower) transom level. Ashlar quoins to red brick work at arrises. Flush ashlar architraves with chamfered reveals to all except rear (E) elevation (reveals not chamfered to bow windows to S). Coped gables.

PRINCIPAL (W) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Late 20th century concrete steps and ramp up to central entrance, surmounted by stepped consoled segmental pediment (inscribed 'CARNEGIE DUNFERMLINE TRUST - ROSYTH INSTITUTE') set within raised pediment-like shouldered gable with geometrical motif at apex; panelled 2-leaf timber door with rectangular fanlight. Flanking transomed bipartites set within slightly projecting full-height ashlar panels (machicolated at apex). Flanking bays surmounted by plain balustrade at eaves; mullioned and transomed sexpartite to each. 2-bay sections project to either side; 12-light mullioned and transomed window with pediment-like breaking-eaves shouldered dormerhead (coping raised over scrolled skewputts) to each bay.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical 8-bay arrangement. Closely-spaced mullioned and transomed quadripartites to 6 central bays. Mullioned and transomed 10-light bow windows to outer flanking bays; each set beneath raised pediment-like shouldered gable with geometrical motif at apex.

N ELEVATION: near symmetrical 7-bay arrangement. Steps up to entrance to 2nd bay from left; wide flanking pilaster strips rising to base of raised pediment-like shouldered gable with geometrial motif at apex; 2-leaf timber door with rectangular fanlight. Mullioned and transomed 9-light windows with pediment-like breaking-eaves shouldered dormerheads to 4th and 6th bays. Mullioned and transomed sexpartites to alternate bays in between and outer flanking ones. Blocked mullioned bipartites to basement, except to entrance bay.

E ELEVATION: near symmetrical arrangement. Semicircular-plan section with brick parapet projects to centre; 3 large regularly disposed mullioned and transomed round-arched sexpartites. Flanking entrances set back; 2-leaf panelled timber doors. Flanking outer projecting sections with irregularly disposed mullioned and transomed quadripartites.

Mainly timber casement windows. Grey slate piended roofs with terracotta finials at ridge ends; pair of louvred vents of cupola design with timber finials to ridges of N and S sections; replacement glazed dome to parapetted semicicular-plan flat-roofed section to E. Corniced semi-wallhead stacks to flanking projecting sections to E and W elevations (and 2 wallhead stacks to these sections on E side); corniced ridge stack to S; circular cans. Many original cast-iron rainwater goods (some downpipes stamped '1924' and '1925').

INTERIOR: plan largely unaltered although doors replaced. Original green and brown glazed tiles to vestibule at main entrance and also to hall and lobby opening off it. Rounded timber ceiling trusses to main hall. Pilasters set back to walls on both sides of dome (and flanking lightwells) in semicircular-sided room; folding timer screen with glazed upper panels in same room. Panelled timber dado and fixed seating to snooker room. Panelled timber dado and geometric red brick fireplace with stone dressings (including band of lozenge motifs) to games room.

Statement of Interest

An attractive free Renaissance buidling incorporating abstracted geometric detailing. One of a number of recreational institutes built locally by the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust to bring some 'sweetness and light' into the lives of the local people (McEwan). The institute was built at the heart of the then new garden village development at Rosyth.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.