This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0716 / 56°4'17"N
Longitude: -3.4697 / 3°28'11"W
OS Eastings: 308604
OS Northings: 687499
OS Grid: NT086874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PDGQ
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.NNYB
Plus Code: 9C8R3GCJ+J4
Entry Name: Pittencrieff Lodge And Gateway, Pittencrieff Park, Dunfermline
Listing Name: Pittencrieff Park, Pittencrieff Lodge and Gateway (Pittencrieff Street)
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394322
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46935
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1883. Single storey; asymmetrical; overall L-plan; entrance lodge and adjacent gateway. Both coursed stugged sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings. Prominent gables (formerly finialled) to lodge, all raised to a point mid-pitch on either side (except that to dormerheaded bipartite to N elevation) and with circular panel with quatrefoil motif to centre; 3 mullioned tripartite canted windows (to opposing sides). Base course to lodge; eaves band; architraved windows with chamfered reveals; coped gables with moulded skewputts.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable end to left; mullioned canted tripartite to centre. Gabled porch set back to right; shield to gable inscribed '1883'; basket-arched entrance with chamfered reveal (jambs individually chamfered and stopped, as is opposing outer right edge of porch); panelled timber door with arched fanlight. Blank side elevation of wing set back to right.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay to outer right with breaking-eaves mullioned canted tripartite set within gabled dormerhead. Mullioned bipartite with gabled dormerhead to left. Plain window to left.
S ELEVATION: projecting section to left with finialled gabled left bay; mullioned canted tripartite to centre. Side of entrance porch set back to left.
Replacement UPVC windows. Grey slate roofs. Adjoining pair of corniced octagonal mid-pitch stacks on square bases to W; coped ridge stack to main ridge; cans missing.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
GATEWAY: double timber gates with wrought-iron panels and flanking pedestrian gates, set at centre of semicircular-plan railed wall with flanking piers. Ashlar piers/gatepiers of square plan; each with base course; panelled and chamfered and stopped sides; frieze; rounded coping (slightly projecting at base and with semicircular motif to each side) surmounted by ball finial. Railed walls stepped up from central gateway; chamfered coping.
Built as the N lodge and entrance gateway to the then privately-owned Pittencrieff House and its grounds. A semicircular-plan entrance has existed on this site since at least the early 1820's (one is shown on Wood's plan of Dunfermline). Both the house and surrounding parkland were bought by Andrew Carnegie in 1902. The grounds were opened as a public park the following year. See separate list descriptions for other park buildings, including Pittencrieff House and E Gateway.
Other nearby listed buildings