This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6613 / 55°39'40"N
Longitude: -3.7289 / 3°43'43"W
OS Eastings: 291333
OS Northings: 642214
OS Grid: NS913422
Mapcode National: GBR 22DZ.HF
Mapcode Global: WH5SK.PYKW
Plus Code: 9C7RM76C+GF
Entry Name: Sergeants Mess, Winston Barracks, Hyndford Road
Listing Name: Hyndford Road at A70, Winston Barracks, Sergeants' Mess
Listing Date: 21 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394369
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46982
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably the War Office, 1936-1939. Single storey and attic, 7-bay, Old English Sergeants' Mess with wing to NE. Coursed red brick with brick dressings. Overhanging eaves; piend-roofed rectangular dormers to attic; tall stacks.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 7-bay; timber architraved doorway stepped forward to centre of ground floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door with 4-pane fanlight, small windows flanking to left and right, bipartite windows to penultimate bays to left and right, windows to outer bays; tripartite dormer to centre of attic floor flanked to left and right
by bipartite dormer. Single storey service wing adjoining to outer left, 4 windows with louvred upper panes, irregular fenestration to right return, bipartite window to left return, boarded timber doors to S.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay; 3 regularly placed windows to bays to left of ground floor, 2 bipartite dormers to attic above; gabled ingleneuk advanced to right, flue advanced to centre flanked to left and right by 2 small windows, tiled corbels at gable-ends; bay to outer right blank.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7-bay; 2 bays to left advanced, bipartite window to ground floor of each, regular fenestration to 4 flanking bays to right; bricked-up opening to bay outer right, coped brick wall extending to far right; 3 tripartite dormers centred to attic floor.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay; bipartite window to centre of ground floor, 2 bipartite dormers to attic floor above; service wing advanced to outer right (see above), small courtyard enclosed by brick wall with boarded timber gate extending from service wing.
Predominantly 6-pane and 8-pane timber casement windows and windows with top hoppers. Piended rosemary tiled roof. Coped brick stacks breaking pitch, ridge stacks and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: simple mouldings; timber panelled entrance hall and staircase; large principal lounge to ground floor; ingleneuk, brick fireplace, timber seating and surround; recessed timber bench; original tiled fireplaces and glazed cupboards.
B-Group with Accommodation Block, Officers' Mess, Guardhouse and Museum. Winston Barracks were built to accommodate the Depot of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Although the barrack buildings were completed by 1939, it was not until1946 that the Regimental Headquarters were established to the E of Lanark, the Unit being called the No 26 Primary Training Centre and Depot, the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). The Cameronians were named after Richard Cameron, one of the
most notable Covenanters. They were formed in 1689, under the leadership of the Earl of Angus. In 1881 the Cameronians amalgamated with the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry (formed in 1794) and became the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Since 1795 the Cameronians Depot had been at Hamilton, however the buildings were in poor condition and the site was suffering from subsidence. In the 1930's the War Office bought a 44 acre site to the E of Lanark. The New buildings were to "embody all the latest devices of permanent construction" (The Covenanter, May 1937, p7) and the cost was estimated to be ?150,000. In 1948 the Primary Training Centre at Winston Barracks was disbanded. In 1961 the Cameronians were joined by the Royal Highland Fusiliers, in 1964 they moved away from Lanark, and by1968 the Cameronians had been disbanded. The barracks themselves were of the Sandhurst Type, which was approved by the Royal Fine Arts Commission.
The aim of the design and layout was to improve the comfort and health of the men. One of the most important features of these forward-looking barracks was their setting. The grounds were spacious, the married quarters having private gardens and a children's playground, there was also a central parade ground and sports fields. The red brick Sergeant's Mess with sweeping rosemary tiled roofs and tall stacks was clearly derived from the architecture of the Old English style. The domestic style of the exterior is complemented by the interior, with traditional ingleneuk fireplace and timber recessed seating area.
Other nearby listed buildings