History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

22-30 (Even Nos) Glen Street, Former Sisters' House, School and Hall

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9435 / 55°56'36"N

Longitude: -3.2017 / 3°12'6"W

OS Eastings: 325039

OS Northings: 672926

OS Grid: NT250729

Mapcode National: GBR 8LJ.YX

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.SWK0

Entry Name: 22-30 (Even Nos) Glen Street, Former Sisters' House, School and Hall

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394405

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47027

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1874-7. Former Sisters' House, school and hall (converted to flats and offices, 1985).

FORMER SISTERS' HOUSE: tall, narrow 3-bay, 3-storey house with attic and basement. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone with ashlar dressings. Chamfered reveals to all openings. Entrance in right bay in shoulder-arched surround with small rectangular window above, under pointed-arched hoodmould (label stops left in block). 2-light stone-mullioned and -transomed window in left bay at ground floor; stone-transomed window in centre bay. 2nd and 3rd floors regularly fenestrated. Windows in shoulder-arched surrounds with decoratively carved gableheads breaking eaves in each bay at attic level.

Small-pane glazing pattern at ground, later timber sash and case windows above. Grey slates. Stone skews. Bevelled and corniced ashlar stacks with circular cans.

FORMER SCHOOL AND HALL: 2-storey and basement (4-storeys to rear), 5-bay building. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone (coursed rubble to rear) with ashlar dressings. Chamfered reveals to all openings.

E (GLEN STREET) ELEVATION: moulded cill course at 1st floor. Round-arched opening (glazed) in 2 outer left bays at ground. Glazed door in shoulder-arched opening in 3rd bay from left at ground, with 3-light stone-mullioned window above; 3, 6-light stone-mullioned windows in shoulder-arched surrounds with small rectangular windows above under pointed-arched hoodmoulded relieving arches at 1st floor; hooded dormers to attic above. Projecting bay to right with wide chamfered corner at left, corbelled out at attic level; 2-leaf timber panelled door in stop-chamfered surround under pointed-arched hoodmoulded relieving arch off-set to left; small 2-light stone-mullioned window at 1st floor above door; stepped 2-light stone-mullioned and transomed window in shoulder-arched surrounds with trefoil window above under hoodmoulded stone relieving arch at 2nd floor. Narrow 3-storey and attic bay to outer right; window in shoulder-arched surround at ground, 2-light stone-mullioned windows at 1st and 2nd, and hooded dormer to attic.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: access through segmental-arched pend from front basement. Segmental-arched window to right of pend exit; 3-light stone-mullioned window above at 1st floor; 2-light stone-mullioned window to left bay at 2nd floor; 2-light stone-mullioned window at 3rd and 2-light stone-mullioned window in dormer breaking eaves above; 8-light stone-mullioned and -transomed window lighting 2nd and 3rd floor to right. Projecting bay to right with 2 small windows to ground, 3-light stone-mullioned window and single windows on returns to 1st, 3-light stone-mullioned window to 2nd and single window to 3rd floor.

Some original glazing, with small panes above and larger panes below in timber sash and case windows; remainder modern, pivoting. Grey slates.

Statement of Interest

B group comprises St Michael and All Saints Church, Brougham Street and Panmure Place, former Parsonage House, 26 Brougham Street, and 22-30 Glen Street, former Sisters' House and School, all designed by Rowand Anderson.

The foundation stone of the 'Home for Sisters of Charity' was laid in 1874; that of the''new school and public hall' in 1877. The school was on the ground floor of Nos 22 and 24 Glen Street, with a hall and gallery capable of 'accommodating 500-600 people,' designed 'to meet the growing needs of the neighbourhood,' on the 1st floor.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.