This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7688 / 55°46'7"N
Longitude: -4.1618 / 4°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 264477
OS Northings: 654941
OS Grid: NS644549
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9P14
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.18HF
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9Q+G7
Entry Name: 103, 105, 107 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 103-105 (Odd Nos) Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396061
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48658
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Later 18th century. 3-bay, single storey and attic cottage. Squared rubble; raised cills.
NW ELEVATION: recessed central door with 2 steps; flanking windows; box dormers with piended roofs at attic above.
Modern 2-pane glazing. Slate roof; straight skews; coped stack at left gablehead.
B-Group with 101, 107-111, 115-121, 123-127, 129, 181, 106, 110, 114-118, 136-140, 142, 144, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings