This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7685 / 55°46'6"N
Longitude: -4.1627 / 4°9'45"W
OS Eastings: 264415
OS Northings: 654918
OS Grid: NS644549
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9NTB
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.180L
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9P+CW
Entry Name: 116, 118 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 114-118 (Even Nos) Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396069
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48666
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century. 4-bay, single storey and attic pair of dwelling houses. Harled and painted; raised harling to upper half of right house. Eaves cornice.
SW ELEVATION: entrance doors in central bays; single windows in outer bays; attic box dormer window to left; gabled attic dormer window to right.
Modern glazing. Slate roof; coped stacks at gableheads.
B-Group with 101, 103-105, 107-111, 115-121, 123-127, 129, 181, 106, 110, 136-140, 142, 144, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings