This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7558 / 55°45'20"N
Longitude: -4.1473 / 4°8'50"W
OS Eastings: 265338
OS Northings: 653473
OS Grid: NS653534
Mapcode National: GBR 3X.BD9Y
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.8LBC
Plus Code: 9C7QQV43+83
Entry Name: Newhousemill Road, Newhousemill Cottages
Listing Date: 13 June 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396082
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48677
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Early 19th century; later alterations. Row of 3 single storey cottages. Squared and snecked rubble; quoins and raised margins to end cottage; identical composition to each cottage.
NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: each cottage: central door; 2 small windows flank to right; 2 small windows, distantly spaced, flank to left.
NE ELEVATION: blind; painted square shows location of old outbuilding.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: door with adjoining window in 1st bay and trio of windows flanking at 1st cottage to left; modern conservatory to central cottage; modern extension to right hand side cottage.
SW ELEVATION: outbuilding attached.
Modern glazing. Slate roof; straight skews; short coped stacks at gableheads and mutual stacks.
General Stuart of Torrance built these cottages to house workers from his cotton mill. In 1792, General Stuart of Torrance moved his cotton mill from Cotton Square to Newhouse to utilise the waterpower of the Calder Water. The lands at Newhouse were part of the Torrance estate and in the 1740s a manse had been erected for the minister of the Parish Church. However, the house was vacated in 1790, a factor which probably further encouraged the General to move his mill to the site. Along with a mill and workers' cottages, General Stuart may also have been responsible for the erection of Newhousemill Bridge. The mill is clearly marked on the 1st edition OS Map, but has since been cleared away for modern housing.
Other nearby listed buildings