This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7551 / 55°45'18"N
Longitude: -4.1454 / 4°8'43"W
OS Eastings: 265458
OS Northings: 653387
OS Grid: NS654533
Mapcode National: GBR 3X.BDRD
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.9L8Y
Plus Code: 9C7QQV43+2V
Entry Name: Newhouse Bridge, Newhousemill Road, East Kilbride
Listing Name: Newhousemill Road, Newhouse Bridge
Listing Date: 13 June 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396084
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48678
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century. Single span bridge over Calder Water. Dressed stone; corniced arch.
In 1792, General Torrance moved his cotton mill from Cotton Square to Newhouse to utilise the waterpower of the Calder Water. The lands at Newhouse were part of the Torrance estate and in the 1740s a manse had been erected for the minister of the Parish Church. However, the house was vacated in 1790, a factor which probably further encouraged the General to move his mill to the site. The mill is clearly marked on the 1st edition OS Map, but has since been cleared away for modern housing. However, three workers' cottages that were built in 1792 still remain. It is thought that the current bridge was built to service the mill.
Other nearby listed buildings