This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.75 / 55°44'59"N
Longitude: -4.1516 / 4°9'5"W
OS Eastings: 265048
OS Northings: 652829
OS Grid: NS650528
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.BZ7R
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.6Q9W
Plus Code: 9C7QPRXX+X9
Entry Name: Torrance House Bridge
Listing Name: Calderglen Country Park (Formerly Torrance House Estate), Bridge
Listing Date: 13 June 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396053
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48651
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century - early 19th century. Single span bridge over burn; tall, round headed arched; crenallated parapet. Dressed stone; red brick voussours; ashlar crenallations.
A-Group with Torrance House, Calderglen Country Park Lodge, Calderglen Country Park Ranger's Office, Calderglen Country Park Gatepiers and statue of Sir John Falstaff. This bridge provides access to the old Torrance Estate that once belonged to the Stuart Family. The estate is now the Calderglen Country Park, but the house and lodge remain in private ownership. In 1879, Colonel Harrington Stuart remodelled the house in Scots Baronial style. The crenallation of this bridge would suggest that it was remodelled as part of his plans. The date of the bridge is uncertain. The access road appears on the 1st Edition OS Map of 1868, but earlier maps suggest that there had been an earlier entrance approaching from a more northerly direction.
Other nearby listed buildings