This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7489 / 55°44'56"N
Longitude: -4.1468 / 4°8'48"W
OS Eastings: 265350
OS Northings: 652701
OS Grid: NS653527
Mapcode National: GBR 3X.BSK4
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.8RLP
Plus Code: 9C7QPVX3+H7
Entry Name: Statue Of Sir John Falstaff, Torrance House, East Kilbride
Listing Name: Calderglen Country Park (Formerly Torrance House Estate), Statue of Sir John Falstaff
Listing Date: 15 March 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363281
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26625
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1860. Statue of Sir John Falstaff.
A-Group with Torrance House, Calderglen Country Park Bridge, Calderglen Country Park Lodge and Calderglen Country Park Ranger's Office. This statue stands in the centre of the children's zoo. The park once belonged to the Stuart Family. It is now the Calderglen Country Park, but Torrance House and the lodge remain in private ownership. Sir John Falstaff was carved for Captain Stuart of Castlemilk and was moved to Torrance House in 1939. In 1922, Ros Shearer wrote the following description of the statue: 'conventionally dressed in doublet and hose, with leathern girdle encircling his portly corporation, topbooted and armed with shield and rapier, this doughty hero of a 100 imaginary fights, has, for years innumerable, been the cynosure and wonder of all who have passed within the portals of this historic estate'.
Other nearby listed buildings