This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6009 / 55°36'3"N
Longitude: -4.4964 / 4°29'46"W
OS Eastings: 242818
OS Northings: 636966
OS Grid: NS428369
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.N4YK
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.XH15
Entry Name: 14 and 16 Glencairn Square, the Hunting Lodge
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396187
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48724
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
William Forrest Valentine, circa 1925. 2?-storey, multi-bayed, irregular-plan Old English style public house and restaurant. Harled and painted with red sandstone ashlar details, resting on a deep coursed red sandstone rubble base course, narrower band and eaves courses. Half-timbered gables to canted bay windows.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf doors within canted surround; heavy band course; 1st floor canted bipartite window within arched bay; heavy curved course forming tower with projecting cornice, dome surmounting.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, essentially 6 bayed with irregular fenestration: entrance door to 5th bay with elliptical panels to flanks, paired windows flanking to 4th and 6th bay, quadripartite window to 3rd bay, paired windows to second bay, tripartite window to 1st bay. 1st floor: projecting canted bay with triangular half-timbered gable to 1st and 5th bays, paired windows to 2nd bay, quadripartite window to 3rd bay, long window flanked by shorter windows to 4th and 6th bays.
N ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay to right: door and elliptical to ground floor left, blind centre, tall window to right; band course. To 1st floor: paired windows to left, slightly projecting corbelled timpany gable to centre with small central window, single window to right bay surmounted by entrance bay's dome. Pair of flat-roofed dormers to attic flanking gable.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: multi gabled: end of smaller N gable adjoining later single storey, flat-roofed extension to right; adjoins ground floor of 2-storey extension to left, tripartite windows to 1st floor of right return; left return not seen, 2001.
S ELEVATION: adjoining the NE elevation of Co-operative Premises in Low Glencairn Street.
6-pane upper lights, 9-pane lower lights in timber casement windows, lower stained glass panels to interior of bar. Piended grey slate roof, grey slate cheeks to dormer, copper domed roof on tower. Terracotta ridge tiles to main roofs and gables. Copper flashing to flat-roofed dormers and dome. Copper 6-pane Carron light to lower N gable. Velux rooflight to E elevation of roof. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Harled and painted stacks with red ashlar neck copes, and single terracotta cans; single can to stack within timpany gable. 4 ventilation pipes to W elevation of roof, 3 original, taller pipe replacing former stack.
INTERIOR: lounge bar to N, restaurant to S. Lounge bar generally remodelled, retaining original beams, timber and glazing dividers, arched stained glass panels to interior of lounge bar windows each depicting a different make / type of beer and ale. Some fireplaces, skirting boards. Restaurant: not seen, 2001.
Glencairn Square was opened up as part of town improvements in 1765 and was locally called the Holm Square. The earlier character of the square was lost when fire damaged the buildings, but the new square was spacious and well tended. The late 19th century saw more change, the Co-operative Society built new premises (circa 1895) and installed a prominent clock. Later, a public house was built and originally called the "Dark Horse". This is now the "Hunting Lodge" and although refurbished retains many interesting features. The building's architect was William Forrest Valentine (1885 - 1957). His apprenticeship was spent under Robert Ingram, part of the local architectural firm J & RS Ingram. Valentine also studied in Italy before setting up practice in the Wallace Chambers, John Finnie Street. He was quite prolific in the early part of the 20th century. He designed local authority housing in Galston, the Masonic Hall in London Road and the Halfway House Hotel in Symington. The public house is situated in a prominent position within the square but retains the formality of the period which is now beginning to be lost by the demolition of parts of Low Glencairn Street, and East and West Shaw Street. Listed as a good surviving example of an early 20th century public house.
Other nearby listed buildings