History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

34 London Road

A Category C Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6083 / 55°36'29"N

Longitude: -4.4862 / 4°29'10"W

OS Eastings: 243487

OS Northings: 637768

OS Grid: NS434377

Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MM8G

Mapcode Global: WH3QB.19ZG

Entry Name: 34 London Road

Listing Date: 1 August 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396235

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48761

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Hurlford

Description

Circa 1838; later additions by Thomas Smellie, 1898. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular classical villa with 19th century rear additions and single storey wing. Coursed sandstone ashlar, harled and painted to front elevations. Base and band course. Angle pilasters supporting eaves cornice. Projecting sills to rear elevation.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance: 2-leaf timber panelled door within architraved door surround, rectangular glazed fanlight surmounting, Doric column to flanks supporting rectangular moulded, corniced pediment; window to left bay. 2-storey, 3-light canted bay window to right; banded sill course supporting window to 1st floor left and central bay. Single storey rectangular entrance to left of main house, former tradesmen's entrance to rear now in-filled to form modern garage. Single storey, single bay wing to right of main house: slight projection containing oeil-de-boeuf window with 4 prominent keystones, ornate surround: projecting sill supporting balusters, arched moulded cornice with oversized keystone surmounting, corniced parapet with relief balustrade detail to centre concealing roofline.

NW ELEVATION: blind gable with much later single storey garage concealing ground floor elevation; central wallhead stack.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: essentially 2-storey, 3-bay. Enclosed timber and gazed porch to centre, entered to right return; window immediately to the right; window to outer bays of ground floor. Larger 3-light staircase window to centre of 1st floor,

SE ELEVATION: original elevation concealed at ground floor by: to ground floor left, single storey wing with narrow window to right, slightly lower extension to far right with regularly placed paired windows. Window to 1st floor right on original house, blind wall to 1st floor of late 19th century extension with central wallhead stack.

Piended grey slate roof to main house, rear extension and single storey wing. Replacement metal ridging and flashing. Piended grey slate roof to bay window following cants of bay and adjoining main roof to rear. 2-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to upper sash; 6-pane timber window to 1st floor central bay on principal elevation with heavy timber mullion and upper transom. Fixed 12-pane oeil-de-boeuf window to single storey wing. 9-pane fixed timber staircase window to rear: 3 long lower lights, 6 smaller upper lights. Tall coursed ashlar stacks, projecting corniced neck cope, 3 tall moulded cans, later stack to rear of same principle with 2 cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Interest

London Road was a fashionable address in the town, along with Portland Road and Dundonald Road. Originally a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road with open aspects to the north and south. This villa started life as a plain classical 2-storey, 3-bay villa, like many of the older properties. The 1st Edition Ordnance survey map shows the London Road villas with names, not numbers. No. 34 London Road was previously called "Gowanbrae" in the middle of the 19th century. The bay window was added in the later part of the 19th century, when many older villas were not replaced, merely made more fashionable by means of additions. By the end of the 19th century, its name had become "Enrick". Plans of 1898 show the villa was nearly doubled in size by means of a rear addition and a side wing. The elaborate window surround is unique in Kilmarnock. Thomas Smellie (1860 - 1938), Partick architect, was responsible for these changes. He had worked with Gabriel Andrew in the latter stages of the 1880's, but set up his own practice in Grange Place. He lived in Burnside (on London Road) before moving to 46 Portland Road on to which he added a studio, still there today.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.