This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0596 / 56°3'34"N
Longitude: -4.4531 / 4°27'11"W
OS Eastings: 247353
OS Northings: 687913
OS Grid: NS473879
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.Q7KQ
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.KYPH
Plus Code: 9C8Q3G5W+VQ
Entry Name: Manse, Drymen Parish Church And Churchyard, Main Street, Drymen
Listing Name: Drymen, Main Street, Former Drymen Manse (Endrick Hill)
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396496
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48981
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1860; extended to N early 20th century. 2-storey; 3-bay; irregular-plan (originally overall L-plan); former manse with canted window to principal (S) elevation and mutuled overhanging eaves. Coursed stugged sandstone (W elevation of original block harled) with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, eaves band, vertical margins at arrises and bracketted skewputts to original block. Architraved windows with concave reveals, except to N elevation.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly projecting gabled bay to outer left; canted tripartite to ground floor; window above. Window to each floor to each of 2 bays set back slightly to right; that to outer right of ground floor mullioned bipartite.
E ELEVATION: projecting gabled bay to outer left; 2 windows to ground floor (that to right blocked); window (blocked) centred above. Open-sided porch with piended grey slate roof with overhanging mutuled eaves set against re-entrant to right; entrance set back within (to right bay); replacement glazed timber door and 2-pane rectangular fanlight; window to right and one above. Slightly lower height early 20th century single bay addition set back slightly to outer right; window to each floor.
W ELEVATION: gabled bay to outer right; window to left of 1st floor. Window to each floor to bay to left. Slightly lower height early 20th century addition set back slightly to outer left; window to each floor.
N ELEVATION: gable end of early 20th century addition obscures original elevation; entrance to right; panelled timber door with 2-pane rectangular fanlight; flanking narrow windows. Large gable-height studio window (inserted 1970's) to 1st floor.
Mainly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Gablehead stacks to N, E and W of original block; one ridge stack; all corniced, apart from W gablehead stack, which is coped; W and N gablehead stacks harled; octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: original layout largely intact; also panelled timber doors. Winding open well staircase with cast-iron balustrade.
A finely constructed mid 19th century manse retaining its original glazing pattern. Records of the Duke of Montrose's payments towards the 'building of the new manse' are recorded in the Duke of Montrose's Cash Book for 1859 and 1860 (NMRS Architecture Notes). It appears as 'Manse' on the 1865 OS map. It is thought to have replaced an earlier manse of 1748 (The New Statistical Account). Its first inhabitants would have been the Rev Alexander Lochore (Minister 1824-77) and his wife Elizabeth and their children
Other nearby listed buildings