This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0657 / 56°3'56"N
Longitude: -4.4532 / 4°27'11"W
OS Eastings: 247371
OS Northings: 688592
OS Grid: NS473885
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.PTSW
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.KSNS
Plus Code: 9C8Q3G8W+7P
Entry Name: The Winnock Hotel, The Square, Drymen
Listing Name: Drymen, the Square, the Winnock
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335087
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3912
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Late 18th/early 19th century with alterations and additions. 16-bay 2-storeyed terrace (grouped: 3/5/5/3), probably originally comprising 4 separate properties/cottages, now combined as hotel. Separate cottage arrangements most clearly visible to outer flanking 3-bay sections to principal (E) elevation. Mainly harled (painted rubble to central 10-bay section to principal elevation) with some painted stone dressings. Painted architraves to principal elevation apart from to 3-bay section to outer right.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: main 10-bay section of hotel to centre; later 20th century glazed flat-roofed 2-bay entrance porch to 4th and 5th bays from left; entrance with glazed door to 2nd bay from left and one with part-glazed timber door to 3rd bay from right; window to each remaining bay to each floor (that to outer left of ground floor elongated). More widely spaced bays to outer flanking 3-bay sections. That to left has later gabled entrance porch to centre; timber bargeboards and finial; window below boarded timber gable; entrance with panelled timber door to left return; flanking windows to each floor and one above. Central entrance with part-glazed timber door to outer right section; flanking windows to each floor and one above.
W ELEVATION: substantial additions mainly dating from latter half of 20th century, apart from to 3-bay section to outer right; semicircular-plan stairtower with central stairwindow to left of centre; small slightly later square-plan projecting section adjoins to right; flanking windows to ground and 1st floors.
Mainly 12-pane (some 4-pane) timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. 3 coped ridge stacks at divisions between former separate properties; coped gablehead stack to S; round cans.
INTERIOR: only partially inspected (1999). Beamed ceiling to part of ground floor to central section; re-set stone inscribed '1702' to same section.
An altered terrace of late 18th/early 19th century cottages (possibly incorporating earlier fragments) built along the W side of the village green. In the valuation rolls for 1855-56 one of the central properties is listed as 'inn and land' and it would appear to have been in use as a public house/hotel since at least this time. The terrace appears more or less in its present form (minus 20th century additions) on the 1865 OS map.
Other nearby listed buildings