This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0627 / 56°3'45"N
Longitude: -4.4521 / 4°27'7"W
OS Eastings: 247428
OS Northings: 688249
OS Grid: NS474882
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.Q1S9
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.LW54
Plus Code: 9C8Q3G7X+35
Entry Name: 27 Main Street, Drymen
Listing Name: Drymen, 27 Main Street
Listing Date: 30 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396495
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48980
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Mid-later 19th century, with later addition. Single storey and attic with single storey service wing (originally separate) to N; 3-bay; T-plan villa; with prominent gables; those to principal (S) elevation with elaborately carved timber bargeboards. Main block: coursed stugged sandstone (less finely coursed to sides/rear) with (partly droved) ashlar dressings; service wing: coursed rubble with stugged red sandstone dressings, apart from rendered infill section. Base course to main block; deep overhanging eaves; chamfered window reveals to principal elevation only. Red sandstone quoins at arrises and red sandstone long and shorts to openings to service wing (apart from to rendered infill section).
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement. Central entrance surmounted by bracketed cornice with false stepped parapet above; panelled timber door with 2-light rectangular fanlight. Flanking gabled bays with filigree-like carved bargeboards; that to left has spiked finial and pendant finial (those to right gable missing); window to each floor to each bay; those to ground floor mullioned bipartites with shallow hoodmoulds.
W ELEVATION: main block to right. Gabled projecting section to right; window with shallow hoodmould to right of ground floor; window above to left; window to ground floor to left return. Pair of narrow windows set back to rear wing to left. Single storey service wing adjoins to left. Slightly taller single bay section (with window) to centre. 2-bay section adjoins to left; window to each bay. Entrance with finialled gabled porch with stepped bargeboards to left of 20th century rendered infill section to right; tree trunks flanking porch entrance; window to both of outer returns; boarded timber door set back. Window to right.
E ELEVATION: main block to left. Gabled projecting section to left; window to left of ground floor; one above to right; window to ground floor to right return. Entrance with bracketed roof porch set back to rear wing to right; boarded timber door; 2-light rectangular fanlight. Window to right. Narrow window to left of ground floor to right return of rear wing; pair of windows to gable above. Single storey service wing adjoins set back to right. Slightly taller single bay section (with window) to centre. 3 entrances to adjoining section to right (one to lean-to to outer right). Projecting section with catslide roof and pair of windows to right of earlier 20th century rendered infill section to left.
Mainly 6 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows with lying-pane glazing to main block; multi-pane casements/fixed frames to service wing. Grey slate roofs. Corniced gablehead stacks to either side (E and W) of original main block; one to rear (N) side; octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: only partially inspected (1999). Retains original fixed office furniture of circa 1930 to infill section to service wing: timber counter with panelled and pilastered front; panelled screen with decorative turned rails to upper section; original panelled doors.
An attractive small villa situated along Drymen's main high street. It is substantially intact, including its glazing and bargeboards; the latter are particularly elaborate and unusual in their filigree-like effect. It first appears on the 1898 OS. According to the present (1999) owner it was formerly the house of the factor of the Duke of Montrose (the duke was a major landowner in the parish and lived at Buchanan Castle, just outside the village in the parish of Buchanan).
Other nearby listed buildings