This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2892 / 57°17'21"N
Longitude: -2.3782 / 2°22'41"W
OS Eastings: 377300
OS Northings: 822133
OS Grid: NJ773221
Mapcode National: GBR X8.V82T
Mapcode Global: WH8NW.F1RT
Plus Code: 9C9V7JQC+MP
Entry Name: Carriage And Wagon Shop, Great North Of Scotland Locomotive Works, Harlaw Road, Inverurie
Listing Name: Former Carriage and Wagon Shop, Former Great North of Scotland Locomotive Works, Harlaw Road
Listing Date: 2 July 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396835
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49301
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverurie and District
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Pickersgill, 1898-1900. High single-storey (with mezzanine floor in places), very large rectangular plan workshop with north-light (saw-tooth profiled) pitched roof. Steel framed construction; predominantly Aberdeen-bond granite cladding. Timber fascia boards to eaves and gables.
S ELEVATION: 9-bay elevation; 3 groups of 3 large openings with 8-light overlights (except 1st opening from left); modern metal shutter-doors to 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 8th openings from left; 1st opening from left blocked with Aberdeen-bond granite and window; remaining openings blocked with modern blockwork.
W ELEVATION: 24-bay elevation. Single window to each bay (blocked to 9th, 12 and 14th bays from left); blocked doorways to 6th, 13th and 20th bays from left; to 17th to 24th (inclusive) bays from left, additional window at upper level; single louvred opening to gable of each bay.
E ELEVATION: 24-bay elevation. To centre, small single-storey mono-pitched roofed extension. Predominantly single window to each bay; single louvred opening to gable of each bay.
N ELEVATION: not seen 2003.
GLAZING etc: predominantly 8-pane glazing in timber frames. 24-bay slate and glazed north-light roof. Predominantly cast-iron rainwater goods and hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2003. Light steel roof trusses.
B-Group with Former Smithy, Furnace and Foundry Shop, Workshop and Former Drawing Office.
The Inverurie Locomotive and Carriage Works played a significant part in the development and history of Inverurie and the wider industrial and economic history of the North East. The works retain a high value within the industrial and railway history of Scotland, especially as it is one of only three locomotive works sites in Scotland which remain appreciably intact. Within the context of the United Kingdom as a whole, the buildings of Inverurie Locomotive Works make a valuable contribution to railway architectural heritage, and are particularly representative of the later generation of locomotive works. The distinctive saw-tooth profiled roof of the carriage and wagon shop is a landmark feature of the skyline of Inverurie.
During the earlier part of the nineteenth century, railway locomotives throughout both England and Scotland tended to be supplied by private engineering manufacturers. However, by the 1840s, when the major main-line railways were becoming established, several of them began to establish large locomotive depots, which were initially principally used for maintenance and repairs. As the decade moved on and the popularity of rail travel swiftly grew, it became clear that the private locomotive builders could not cope with the increased demand for new engines. As a result, several of the railway companies began to establish their own locomotive construction works, some of which were purpose built from scratch. This trend continued throughout the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century. However, following the rationalisation of the industry in the 1960s and after, the great majority of these works were closed, and the majority subsequently demolished.
In 1898, the Great North of Scotland Railway began construction of a new locomotive works to replace their works at Kittybrewster, which were considered too small and out-of-date to cope with the company's needs for manufacture and repair of locomotives and rolling stock. The new works were located on a 25-acre site in Inverurie. William Pickersgill, GNSR's locomotive superintendent, designed the complex. The works were completed by 1905. The works complex consisted of a boiler, erecting and machine shop (demolished), paint shop (demolished), smithy, furnace and foundry (see separate List Description) shop, the carriage and wagon shop and one small double-aisled building (see separate List Description) to the west of the site. There is also a substantial managers drawing office (see separate List Description) and to the north east of the works, a small estate of purpose-built workers' housing (once known as 'the Colony'). The works closed in 1969.
The works at Inverurie were, for their time, advanced in terms of layout and equipment and included a 60 ton electric travelling crane for easy movement of locomotives over each other in the erecting shop, and a very wide use of electricity for lighting and powering various machines (electricity, taken from the works' current, was also supplied to the workers' homes, an unusual luxury for houses of this class at the turn of the century).
Other nearby listed buildings