This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2882 / 57°17'17"N
Longitude: -2.3774 / 2°22'38"W
OS Eastings: 377347
OS Northings: 822020
OS Grid: NJ773220
Mapcode National: GBR X8.V88N
Mapcode Global: WH8NW.G23L
Plus Code: 9C9V7JQF+72
Entry Name: Furnace And Foundry, Works Building With Smithy, Great North Of Scotland Locomotive Works, Harlaw Road, Inverurie
Listing Name: Former Smithy, Furnace and Foundry, Former Great North of Scotland Locomotive Works, Harlaw Road
Listing Date: 2 July 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396838
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49304
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverurie and District
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Pickersgill, 1898-1900. Single storey, rectangular plan M-gabled building with some small later additions. Steel framed construction; predominantly Aberdeen-bond granite cladding; coursed / snecked squared rubble to S elevation; corrugated metal cladding to E end of N elevation. Eaves cornice; raking cornices to gables.
W ELEVATION: 6-bay elevation. To 1st, 2nd and 5th bays from left, 2-leaf doors (timber-boarded to far left, metal to remainder) in large openings (opening to far left a later alteration from an original window); moulded lintels; 8-paned (vertically divided) overlights. To 3rd, 4th and 6th bays from left, large 48-pane (vertically orientated) windows with central timber mullion and broad moulded transom. Glazed gables (vertically divided).
N ELEVATION: to left of granite-clad section, 7 large windows of varying sizes; all with vertically orientated glazing patterns; broad moulded transoms to 5 largest windows; additional central timber mullions to 2 windows to right. To right, small single storey mono-pitch extension with brick ridge stack and tall granite gable-end stack to right.
E ELEVATION: 6-bay elevation. To 2nd and 5th bays from left, large openings, largely blocked with timber-boarding, with small sliding doors; 8-paned (vertically divided) overlights. To 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th bays, large 48-pane (vertically orientated) windows with central timber mullion and broad moulded transom. Timber-boarded gables.
S ELEVATION: predominantly blank elevation; to centre, single storey pitched-roofed extension.
GLAZING etc: M-pitched roof; predominantly corrugated metal roof; dark grey slate to N section of roof and extensions; to N pitch, continuous rooflight strips to ridge and lower pitch to both sides.
INTERIOR: not seen 2003. Light steel roof trusses.
B-Group with Former Carriage and Wagon Shop, Workshop and Former Drawing Office.
The Inverurie Locomotive and Carriage Works played a significant part in the development and history of Inverurie and the wider industrial and economic history of the North East. The works retain a high value within the industrial and railway history of Scotland, especially as it is one of only three locomotive works sites in Scotland which remain appreciably intact. Within the context of the United Kingdom as a whole, the buildings of Inverurie Locomotive Works make a valuable contribution to railway architectural heritage, and are particularly representative of the later generation of locomotive works. During the earlier part of the nineteenth century, railway locomotives throughout both England and Scotland tended to be supplied by private engineering manufacturers.
However, by the 1840s, when the major main-line railways were becoming established, several of them began to establish large locomotive depots, which were initially principally used for maintenance and repairs. As the decade moved on and the popularity of rail travel swiftly grew, it became clear that the private locomotive builders could not cope with the increased demand for new engines. Consequently, several of the railway companies began to establish their own locomotive construction works, some of which were purpose built from scratch.
This trend continued throughout the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century. However, following the rationalisation of the industry in the 1960s and after, the great majority of these works were closed, and the majority subsequently demolished.
In 1898, the Great North of Scotland Railway began construction of a new locomotive works to replace their works at Kittybrewster, which were considered too small and out-of-date to cope with the company?s needs for manufacture and repair of locomotives and rolling stock. The new works were located on a 25-acre site in Inverurie. William Pickersgill, GNSR?s locomotive superintendent, designed the complex. The works were completed by 1905.
The works complex consisted of a boiler, erecting and machine shop (demolished), paint shop (demolished), the smithy, furnace and foundry shop and carriage and wagon shop (see separate List Description) and one small double-aisled building (see separate List Description) to the west of the site. There is also a substantial managers drawing office (see separate List Description) and to the north east of the works, a small estate of purpose-built workers' housing (once known as 'the Colony'). The works closed in 1969.
The works at Inverurie were, for their time, advanced in terms of layout and equipment and included a 60 ton electric travelling crane for easy movement of locomotives over each other in the erecting shop, and a very wide use of electricity for lighting and powering various machines (electricity, taken from the works? current, was also supplied to the workers? homes, an unusual luxury for houses of this class at the turn of the century).
Other nearby listed buildings