This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8887 / 55°53'19"N
Longitude: -3.0763 / 3°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 332775
OS Northings: 666698
OS Grid: NT327666
Mapcode National: GBR 60YB.SX
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.Q78Z
Plus Code: 9C7RVWQF+FF
Entry Name: Outbuilding, Waverley Cottage, 14 Park Road, Dalkeith
Listing Name: 14 Park Road, Waverley Cottage, Including Boundary Walls, Gates, Gatepiers, Forecourt and Outbuilding
Listing Date: 20 January 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397285
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49690
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Single storey, symmetrical, villa-like cottage built between circa 1840 and 1854; centre-doored 3-bay front with projecting and barge-boarded outer bays, further flanking single bays set back. Centre porch and detailing all dressed ashlar; remainder tooled snecked sandstone. Piended slate roofs with overhanging eaves and corniced ashlar stacks. Plate glass timber framed sash and case windows.
Advanced gabled entrance porch to principal (SE/garden) elevation; flanking gabled bays with hoodmoulded bipartite windows and scroll detail to bargeboards with drop pendants and finials. Central gabled 2-bay section slightly advanced at rear with 2 further flanking single bays set back.
Outbuilding: single storey ancillary building to west of main entrance gate. Rubble walls with ashlar detailing, slate lean-to roof. Large door near house with 4 further doors (possibly once providing stabling (?) and stores).
Forecourt: section of courtyard from entrance gates to house laid in brick.
Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates: corniced square-plan gatepiers with chamfered quoins to carriage entrance to NW of property on Park Road; adjacent corniced pedestrian entrance. Ornate wrought iron gates replace earlier gates (possibly originally timber). Tall rubble wall bounds entire property. Wall raised to N and NE and surmounted by curved coping. Pedimented ashlar doorway to W (Waverley Road) (also carriage entrance to W). Wall continues along Waverley Road with changes in stonework to southern section (possibly indicating one time changes in use of grounds?). Boundary wall to S of garden, terminating in gatepiers. Walls enclose long sweeping lawn which slopes down to the south. Large Cedar of Lebanon beside west pedestrian gate.
The proportions and detailing make Waverley Cottage an attractive building and one which is uncommon to this area. Although on a larger footprint than its neighbouring houses (which are typically 2-storey and square-plan), because of its single storey and decorative bargeboarded gables, Waverley Cottage has an almost lodge-like appearance.
Waverley Cottage remains largely unaltered particularly since it also retains its boundary walls, outbuilding and garden and is one of the few houses within the conservation area to retain the full extent of its grounds. Gellartly's 1834-1840 (exact date uncertain) New Map of the Country 12 miles round Edinburgh shows that this area of Dalkeith had not yet been developed. However, with the mid 19th century commercial boom in Dalkeith (which was boosted by the opening of the railway to Edinburgh, which runs to the south of Waverley Cottage) areas surrounding the crowded town centre, such as this, began to be developed for housing.
Other nearby listed buildings