This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.379 / 56°22'44"N
Longitude: -4.2902 / 4°17'24"W
OS Eastings: 258673
OS Northings: 723104
OS Grid: NN586231
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.224Q
Mapcode Global: WH3LK.2X9M
Plus Code: 9C8Q9PH5+JW
Entry Name: Druidfield Croft, Craggan, Lochearnhead
Listing Name: Lochearnhead, Craggan, Druidfield Croft
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398326
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50343
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Probably early 19th century, with later 19th and/or early 20th century additions and alterations. Single storey, three-bay croft cottage with red corrugated-iron roof, single dormer window to attic and later byre range adjoining to northeast gable. This is a traditional croft cottage and retains a number of original features including come straw thatch under the iron roof, interior timber panelling and fireplaces, and partitions in the cow byre.
Interior: traditional tongue-and-groove timber panelling to principal rooms; plain stone chimney pieces with bracketed timber mantelshelves.
Materials: white-washed random rubble with some brick alterations. Two-leaf, half-glazed timber-boarded front door; timber-boarded doors to byre. Eight-pane lying pane glazing in replacement timber sash and case windows. Painted corrugated-iron roof with straw thatch underneath. Coped chimney stacks with short clay cans.
Although several older croft cottages survive in the parish they are either derelict and ruinous, or have been heavily modernised. Druidfield has local significance as the most complete example of a traditional croft cottage in Balquhidder parish.
Like most cottages of its type, Druidfield has undergone several stages of development. It is particularly interesting because the alterations that were made in the second half of the 20th century have not been so extensive as to obscure the earlier alterations, making the development of the house easy to read and leaving an interesting reflection of social history of the area.
Craggan was on the Edinchip estate, which underwent a large amount of improvement during the first three decades of the 19th century following its purchase from the Duke of Atholl by Sir John Murray MacGregor in 1801. Druidfield was almost certainly built as part of these improvements, probably in the late 1820s or 1830s (one building is marked at Craggan on John Thompson's map of 1827, but it is impossible to tell whether it is Druidfield). The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows that the cottage was considerably smaller than it is now, with only a small one-bay byre to the side. The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map shows it as it now stands, so the byre was probably extended at the end of the 19th century. It is likely that the roof timbers were replaced at about the same time, as they do not appear to be particularly old.
The cottage was originally thatched, and remnants of this thatch still remain under the corrugated iron roof. Thatched buildings are often traditionally built, showing distinctive local and regional building methods and materials. Those that survive are important in helping us understand these traditional skills and an earlier way of life.
The iron roof was probably put on soon after the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie railway was built in about 1902. The track for this lies immediately behind the croft, and sparks from the steam engines posed a serious fire risk to a thatched roof.
The section of byre closest to the house contains an early 19th century brick fireplace. The railway brought a considerable number of tourists to the Trossachs and summer accommodation was in great demand. The locals took advantage of the opportunity to supplement their income by letting out their cottages for the summer. They would then move into 'back houses' located in a byre, and this room is an example of such temporary summer accommodation. Although space would have been very cramped, they would probably have spent most of the daylight hours working outside and this room would only be needed for sleeping and cooking in (information from local resident).
Later 20th century alterations include a flat-roofed kitchen extension to the southwest gable, and the summer house that has been added on to the northeast end of the byre.
Listed building record revised in 2020 as part of the Thatched Buildings Listing Review.
Other nearby listed buildings