This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3803 / 56°22'49"N
Longitude: -4.2872 / 4°17'13"W
OS Eastings: 258864
OS Northings: 723239
OS Grid: NN588232
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.1WB6
Mapcode Global: WH3LK.3WRN
Plus Code: 9C8Q9PJ7+44
Entry Name: St Angus Episcopal Church, Lochearnhead
Listing Name: Lochearnhead, St Angus Episcopal Church
Listing Date: 6 May 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390880
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44186
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1885. Rectangular-plan church with nave, chancel, porch, vestry and gabletted belfry in plain gothic style. Squared and snecked rubble sandstone with contrasting polished red sandstone dressings. Battered base; cusped windows; overhanging eaves; bargeboards.
N (Entrance) Elevation: gabled porch to outer right; roll-moulded doorway; boarded timber door with decorative wrought-iron hinges and fittings; blind slit opening set in gablehead above; iron cruciform finial. 4-light and 2-light windows to nave. Lower recessed chancel to outer left with 2-light window.
S Elevation: advanced gabled vestry with single window and blind slit set in gablehead. 4-light and 2-light windows.
E Elevation: 5-light window set in pointed-arched panel.
W Elevation: 3-light window; trefoil window set in gablehead. Clear leaded glass with coloured glass margins. Graded grey slate roof; decorative terracotta ridge tiles; gabletted belfry with cruciform finial; bell cast 1890 by J Murphy Dublin; cast-iron rainwater goods.
Interior: boarded dado; open timber roof; pointed chancel arch; open timber beam roof; decorative iron suspended light fitting; timber pews with additional hinged seats attached; altar with painted and gilded reredos depicting Saints Ninian, Columba, Blane and Angus; stained glass E window to memory of Rear Admiral Malcolm MacGregor of MacGregor (died 1879).
The feu charter records that the church had been constructed on land belonging to the Edinchip Estate by 1888, when it was feued in favour of the Bishop of Dunkeld. Lady Helen Laura MacGregor of MacGregor, David Carnegie of Stronvar, and Col John Stewart of Ardvorlich were the principal benefactors. The church is distinguished by its unusual top-heavy belfry.
Other nearby listed buildings