This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6158 / 55°36'56"N
Longitude: -2.8077 / 2°48'27"W
OS Eastings: 349222
OS Northings: 636094
OS Grid: NT492360
Mapcode National: GBR 83TH.YQ
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.V35P
Entry Name: 35 Bank Street, Royal Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399185
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50662
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
J R McKay, 1946 (built to a 1939 design by Dick Peddie, Todd and Jamieson). 2-storey, 7-bay (arranged 2-3-2), symmetrical U-plan classical bank building with later single storey flat roofed addition to rear. Advanced piended central section with stone pilasters and inset slender granite Corinthian columns framing centre 3 bays; carved stone shaped pedimented crest to entrance; prominent smooth ashlar rusticated quoins; tall quadripartite windows to ground outer bays; architraved openings to first floor with projecting stone cills. Smooth sandstone ashlar with diagonally droved margins; render with smooth surrounds to rear. Black marble base course rising to form plinth at central bays and recessed to vertically aligned glazing in outer bays; wide band course and string course at first floor, projecting moulded eaves course. Architraved windows with projecting stone cills.
Large multi-pane hardwood casements flanking entrance; fixed plate glazing to outer bays; 12-pane timber sash and case to upper floors and rear; security bars to lower rear windows; out of character 20th century aluminium glazed door. Slated and lead piended platform roof; moulded lead wallhead; small rendered end stacks to rear outer bays. Metal escape stair to rear. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: 20th century alterations to form modern commercial bank interior, upper floors not seen.
The Royal Bank of Scotland building is a fine example of an inter-war civic burgh bank building with a prominent street façade and fine classical detailing. The bank's imposing facade is the largest building on the street, sitting at a commanding central corner site overlooking the communal Bank Street gardens. It was originally built as the National Bank of Scotland to replace National Bank Building on the same site that opened in 1825, and is still in use as a bank today. Bank Street was formerly known as Scott's Place but renamed by association with the bank.
The building was designed by Dick Peddie, Todd and Jamieson shortly before the Second World War broke out, construction did not therefore begin until 1946 by which time J R McKay was in charge of the project. Dick Peddie, Todd and Jamieson was a prominent Scottish practice known nationally for producing high quality banks and business premises, many of which are listed. Construction may have been carried out in phases; a photograph in 1955 shows the completed bank with a flat roof but the current roof structure was in evidence by c.1960.
Other nearby listed buildings