This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6186 / 55°37'7"N
Longitude: -2.8089 / 2°48'31"W
OS Eastings: 349153
OS Northings: 636413
OS Grid: NT491364
Mapcode National: GBR 83TG.PP
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.T1MH
Plus Code: 9C7VJ59R+FC
Entry Name: Former Ladhope Parish Church Hall, Ladhope Vale
Listing Name: Ladhope Vale, Former Ladhope Parish Church Hall
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399235
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50701
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Late 19th century. Rectangular-plan church halls (now in business use). Street block of 2 storeys with upper breaking eaves. Single storey halls to rear. Whin and sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Oriented NE-SW and situated on an open site adjacent to the former Ladhope church. Shouldered arch openings throughout, distinctive stepped pedimented dormers with adjoining stepped wallhead stack.
FRONT (NE) BLOCK: 3 bays; single boarded door to left and two bays of bipartite windows and dormers. 3-Bay side elevation; irregular fenestration.
HALL: 5 bays of blocked bipartites to SE elevation, last bay altered to form door. Hood-moulded Gothic bipartites to SW (rear) elevation. Blank NW elevation.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows with some uPVC replacements. Purple slate roof with rooflights to NW elevation. Ashlar skews with fleur-de-lis skewputts. Two corniced gable stacks with clay cans, truncated stepped wall-head stack adjoining dormer.
INTERIOR: interiors of front block altered for present use, layout surviving. Interior of hall has high semicircular laminated trusses and a glazed boarded gallery.
The former Ladhope church halls makes a significant contribution to the interesting collection of buildings along Ladhope Vale. Although the building has been somewhat altered for its present use, it retains its proportions and its interest as an unusual building type, combining church halls and the manse or school.
The adjacent Ladhope Parish Church was a Quoad Sacra church out of Melrose Parish, built in 1843. The date of the halls is uncertain. The halls are marked as a school on the 1898 OS map, but there are no references to this building being used as a conventional school. There was, however, a successful bible school in the building from 1887 and the maps may be recording this.
This building replaced half of a semi-detached block and was built on to a low cottage to the NW, the gable of which is still visible on the NW wall.
Other nearby listed buildings