This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6258 / 55°37'32"N
Longitude: -3.0594 / 3°3'33"W
OS Eastings: 333389
OS Northings: 637423
OS Grid: NT333374
Mapcode National: GBR 732D.G4
Mapcode Global: WH6V6.ZVBK
Entry Name: Leithen Road, Kirklands Farmhouse Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 21 May 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399905
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51082
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Dated 1831 with later alterations. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, L-plan farmhouse with crow-stepped gables and pediment. Squared whinstone to main (E) elevation with prominent raised sandstone quoins and droved tabbed window margins. Painted render to N gable and L-plan wing to rear. Eaves band course with hidden gutter. Central crowstepped pediment with window; hoodmoulds over doorway and bi-partite windows; crow-stepped gables. Earlier 20th century flat-roofed leaded box dormers with slated cheeks. Weathervane. Later 19th century lean-to sections with 20th century openings to rear.
8-pane timber sash and case windows to main elevation; 12-pane windows and 6-pane side hung casements to side dormers. 4-panel timber entrance door with glazed upper panels and delicate fanlight. Grey slate roofs, corniced ashlar stacks with plain clay cans.
INTERIOR: fine interior decorative details to main farmhouse. 20th cetntury Adam-style timber and gesso mantelpieces with marble inserts to principal rooms. 6-panel doors and panelled timber shutters; timber boarded doors to rear section. Delicate curved stair with cast-iron banisters and timber handrail.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATE: sandstone-coped rubble walls to front with pyramidal capped piers to pedestrian gateway. Rubble walls to sides and enclosing large garden to S. Stone slab bridge over mill lade in garden.
Kirklands is a finely detailed early 19th century farmhouse that remains largely in its original condition and form. It has some fine stone detailing with prominent crowstepped gables and central pediment. The farm was originally built and owned by the Traquair Estate. The buildings are evident on Dobson's Map of 1849, adjacent to the site of the former Parish Church, at which point they are called 'Belitree'.
The sluice for the mill lade that powers Caerlee Mill and other industrial buildings in the town starts just to the N of Kirklands. The lade itself runs through the front garden of the Farmhouse and is bridged by stone slabs.
Other nearby listed buildings