This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6765 / 55°40'35"N
Longitude: -4.5107 / 4°30'38"W
OS Eastings: 242218
OS Northings: 645413
OS Grid: NS422454
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.HFMW
Mapcode Global: WH3PX.PL75
Plus Code: 9C7QMFGQ+HP
Entry Name: 1 Loudoun Street
Listing Name: 1 Loudoun Street
Listing Date: 22 September 2009
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400258
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51376
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early or earlier 19th century. 2-storey and attic 3-bay probable former toll-house (see Notes) with single-storey bays to NW (acute angled and piended) and SE (gabled), situated at edge of road at corner intersection. White-painted rubble with contrasting black margins. Cornice. Pair of piended roof dormers. Single-storey bay to NW with small window openings to street. Later further extension to SE.
Predominantly replacement non-traditional windows. Grey slates, raised skews. Gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2008). Standard room plan with little original fabric.
This prominent house is situated at the junction of 2 main roads into Stewarton and is thought to be a former toll-house. The house occupies a prominent position directly at the edge of the road and the small extension to the NW overlooks all three roads. The contrasting margins give the house a little decorative detail and the traditional 2-storey and attic, 3-bay structure of the house makes it a prominent addition to the streetscape of this entrance into Stewarton. It is likely that the house was extended in the later part of the 19th century.
Tolls were introduced in Scotland following the Turnpike Act of 1750. This allowed private roads to be built and tolls to be charged for their use and the quality of the roads improved as a result. Toll houses were placed every 6 miles along a road, with a bar across the road to prevent passage without payment. Tolls were abolished on roads in 1880, although they can still be charged on bridges.
A Kirkford Toll is marked on the John Thomson's 1832 Map, close to the site of this house.
Other nearby listed buildings