History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hawkesbury Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckley, Flintshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1724 / 53°10'20"N

Longitude: -3.0808 / 3°4'50"W

OS Eastings: 327850

OS Northings: 364467

OS Grid: SJ278644

Mapcode National: GBR 72.42EQ

Mapcode Global: WH776.NJ49

Plus Code: 9C5R5WC9+XM

Entry Name: Hawkesbury Hall

Listing Date: 25 August 1982

Last Amended: 11 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 58

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Facing south and reached off the main road west of the common.

County: Flintshire

Community: Buckley (Bwcle)

Community: Buckley

Built-Up Area: Buckley

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Buckley

History

Built 1801 by Jonathan Catherall (1761-1833) an industrialist and philanthropist and a leading local non-conformist. The house was named after Lord Hawkesbury who introduced a bill into Parliment that Dissenters could register a room in their premises for worship. Catherall rode up to London immediately on horseback and registered his room as a place of Dissenting Worship, so it is one of the earliest Dissenters meeting places in North Wales. In 1811 he added a chapel.

Exterior

2 storeys, with roughcast and cement rendered elevations under a slate roof. All window openings now blocked up; formerly sashes with glazing bars. The main front has broad pilasters flanking each bay. Attached lower service ranges. In poor condition.

Interior

Inaccessible at time of inspection (March 1997). Retains some internal features including some sash windows with shutters; also evidence of original hipped roof.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its early C19 origins and important historic associations with Jonathan Catherall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Buckley Town Council Offices and Library
    In the centre of Buckley on the north side of Mold Road near to its junction with the A549
  • II Lych Gate to St Matthew's Church
    Situated at the entrance to a churchyard on the E side of Church Road in the NE part of Buckley.
  • II* St Matthew's Church
    Situated in a churchyard off the E side of Church Road in the NE part of Buckley.
  • II The Tivoli
    Situated close to the centre of Buckley, approximately 300m east of the crossroads between the A 549 and the B 5127.
  • II Emmanuel Church
    Situated in a churchyard off the S side of Mold Road in Bistre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.