History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Emmanuel Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckley, Flintshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1678 / 53°10'4"N

Longitude: -3.0882 / 3°5'17"W

OS Eastings: 327351

OS Northings: 363964

OS Grid: SJ273639

Mapcode National: GBR 72.4DC7

Mapcode Global: WH776.JMNV

Entry Name: Emmanuel Church

Listing Date: 11 August 1997

Last Amended: 11 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18754

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in a churchyard off the S side of Mold Road in Bistre.

County: Flintshire

Community: Buckley (Bwcle)

Community: Buckley

Locality: Bistre

Built-Up Area: Buckley

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Buckley

History

A grant of £250 was paid towards the construction of the church in 1839 by the Incorporated Society for the Building of Churches. It was designed by John Lloyd and opened in 1842. In 1881 W H Spaull remodelled the building; the W gallery was removed and the chancel was added. A simple vestry was built at the SE end in 1935.

Exterior

Gothic Revival style with Early English windows. Coursed dressed stone, slate roof, stone plinth. Aisleless with W tower and narrower shallow chancel. The squat castellated tower has arched louvred bell-openings. There is a triple lancet window on the W face and a gabled central porch flanked by narrow lancets. The nave has simple lancet windows alternating with stepped buttresses. The E elevation has blocked lancet windows flanking a shallow chancel with a triple lancet window. On the N side nave and chancel have stepped angle buttresses at the corners, on the S side a flat-roofed vestry is attached.

Interior

The entrance leads to a vestibule with steps up to the tower on the N side. C20 doors lead to the body of the church which has an exposed timber roof, steps up to the chancel with an open arcaded pitch-pine screen, and steps up to the sanctuary. The E window is enriched with shafts with moulded caps. On the N side of the chancel is an organ, and in front of this a circular stone pulpit with cusped quatrefoil decoration and stone steps. At the SW end is a simple octagonal font with a cover surmounted by elaborate brass cresting. There are pitch-pine pews with simple floral decoration, some have brass plates with numbers. Stained glass includes windows by Ballantine, 1881; Jones & Willis 1912; A E Child, 1932 and T M Cox, 1950s.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of an early Victorian church which retains interior features of quality and interest.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Buckley Town Council Offices and Library
    In the centre of Buckley on the north side of Mold Road near to its junction with the A549
  • II Hawkesbury Hall
    Facing south and reached off the main road west of the common.
  • II The Tivoli
    Situated close to the centre of Buckley, approximately 300m east of the crossroads between the A 549 and the B 5127.
  • II Lych Gate to St Matthew's Church
    Situated at the entrance to a churchyard on the E side of Church Road in the NE part of Buckley.
  • II* St Matthew's Church
    Situated in a churchyard off the E side of Church Road in the NE part of Buckley.
  • II Plas Major including attached barn
    Situated c1.7km SW of Mynydd Isa and reached from a by-road running N from the A5118 at Llong.
  • II Llong Bridge
    Situated close to the junction of the B5444 and the A5118 at Llong, crossing the River Alyn.
  • II Plas Isaf
    Situated c1.7km S of Mynydd Isa and reached from a drive running N from the A5118 at Llong.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.