History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stokyn Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Holywell, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2928 / 53°17'34"N

Longitude: -3.2326 / 3°13'57"W

OS Eastings: 317936

OS Northings: 378025

OS Grid: SJ179780

Mapcode National: GBR 5ZVC.YB

Mapcode Global: WH76K.9HXJ

Plus Code: 9C5R7QV8+4X

Entry Name: Stokyn Hall

Listing Date: 19 August 1991

Last Amended: 19 August 1991

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 512

Building Class: Domestic

County: Flintshire

Community: Holywell (Treffynnon)

Community: Holywell

Locality: Greenfield

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in



Set in its own grounds, close to the NW boundary of the Community Council area. Reached from the main coast road (A 548) along an unmade lane for 1km.

Late C17/early C18 origins to this building although Stokyn is recorded since C15 and was once in Mostyn family ownership. Altered at end of C18 - referred to in 1796 by Thomas Pennant as a "small house" and much improved....of late years". Greatly enlarged in mid C19 (shown at present size on 1871 map) and remodelled, especially the interior, ca 1900 for a Liverpool timber merchant; this latter work is said to be to the designs of Waring and Gillow of London and Lancaster who were cheifly known as furniture makers - the renowned firm of Gillow (founded C18) amalgamated with that of Waring before 1900.

2-storeys and attic. Tiled roof to front with cresting and slate roofs to rear; cement rendered and red brick chimney stacks. 3-bay main (NE) front with gabled end bays projecting to contain central porch with Gothic arches. Pebbledash ground and 1st floors, with quoins; cement render gables with applied half-timbering around 6-pane sash windows. Large tripartite small-pane sash windows to 1st floor; splayed freestone bays to ground floor with marginal glazing bars to sashes. 1-window left (SE) end with similar treatment; at right end is partly C19 rubble range (servants quarters?) set back - very poor condition at time of inspection (June 1990); small-pane sashes to rear. The 2-cross ranges to SE at rear are of C17 and C18 origin, the lower part being rubble with peeling render; above the end range has older brickwork; camber headed 16 and 20-pane sashes. Sliding sashes and boarded doors to centre rear. Cross range at left end has broad chimney breast with 3 red brick stacks over toothed cornice. Attached is a single-storey rubble and slate roof outbuilding including projecting larder, with horizontally sliding sash, at corner and low camber headed doorway beside. This range then turns at right angles parallel to rear of the house to close the narrow yard; leaded light windows. Mid C19 stable block to W with pitching eyes.

The main entrance is onto a hall with broad dog-leg stairs. Coloured glass with armorial panels; panelled shutters, doors and reveals. The public rooms leading off that, as well as the main 1st floor rooms, are said to have been designed by Waring and Gallow - the conclusion, therefore, is that they also designed some of the furnishings. If all these rooms are contemporary and by the same firm, they are unusually varied. One room, possibly libray, has fine chimneypiece with carved and garlanded heads with smiling and frowning expresions; enriched surrounds to flanking recesses. Another room has well ceiling with moulded cornices. On other side of hall is a square room with applied timber frieze in Gothic manner; this leads into far drawing room which has light Regency ornamented ceiling and chimneypiece. The kitchen has central cross beam with diagonal chamfer stops. 1st floor retains fine main bedroom.

Graded II* for the special intrest of the interior design which is an unusual example of the work of the important firm of Waring and Gillow.

References: T Pennant, "The History of the Parishes of Whiteford and Holywell, first published 1796 - facsimile edition 1988.
1st edition Ordinance Survey map, sheet V1.9, dated 1871.
Information from the owner.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barn and cow house at Isglan Farm
    On the W side of the farmhouse.
  • II Gate piers and garden wall at Isglan Farm
    In front of the house and facing the road.
  • II Isglan
    Approximately 1.5km WNW of Greenfield, set back on the N side of a minor road between Llannerch-y-mor and Carmel.
  • II Plassau
    At the end of a farm track 1.4km S of Mostyn church, and built across a sloping site overlooking Llanerch-y-mor.
  • II Mertyn Isaf
    Beyond the N end of Llwyn Ifor Lane on a hillside overlooking Llanerch-y-mor, approximately 1km S of Mostyn church.
  • II The Old Tavern Inn
    Fronting the S side of the road in Llanerch y Mor.
  • II Minffordd Cottage
    Below the main coast road near the NW boudary of the Holywell Community Council area. Reached via main entrance to Bodlondeb Farm. Detached to NW.
  • II Stormont Cottage
    About 400m N of the main road (A5026), and fronting the E side of the lane.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.